Goose With Swollen Eye

cmcm

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Hi There,
I have a 5 month old Chinese male who today started having, what I at first thought was a sleepy eye. It's just one eye and it isn't swollen shut - he just looks sleepy - and when you look at him straight on you can tell there is some minor swelling on that side of his head. I've noticed the yellow jackets out a lot this week and am wondering if that could be the cause - and if so what I should do. There is no other issue - no redness, no discharge, and he's not even rubbing it. So far nothing but the slight swelling.

Thanks so much!

Carol

Hi Carol
welcome-byc.gif
. We have a tone of yellow jackets also and that wouldn't be unusual for it to be a sting. Here they sit on the edge of the water in the pool and could easily sting a duck, goose or someone wanting a drink. Just keep a close eye on it
smile.png

Hi

Just observe for infection developing but it sounds like a minor trauma or sting but I've NO idea what a Yellow Jacket is
hmm.png

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
Ha!! No idea what a yellow jacket is!!???!! That's the mascot for my town's school!! It is a type of bee. Can be a bit aggressive with a good sting. Not as bad as our red wasps around here though!! Talk about nasty, mean as a snake and will chase you down to get you! Sheesh! They will light you up when they get you.

Last edited:
Pete we need to send you some of our yellow jackets, just this week we had an encounter with a nest of them, they nest in the ground around here and before you know what hit you you can walk over the nest and wham, they are on you like flies on [well you know] they are very agressive and will cover you in no time and will chase you down to sting ya. my poor little dachshund had one side of his face swollen where they got him and I was trying to get them off my dogs and got stung. so it could very well be a sting, something had tore open this nest too, so they were already stirred up about that and then here we come minding our own business.
ep.gif

Thanks for the replies! This morning he is looking better. Still a teeny bit swollen - but his eye looks a lot more open.
smile.png

Quote:
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Pete, I remember as a child some fifty years ago stepping on a yellow jacket nest (hole in the ground really) and they swarmed me. I had about forty stings and ran several hundred yards home. I still had yellow jackets in my clothing when I got there. I undressed and my dad had some black salve and he put it on all the stings. What a picture that would have made!
Bob

Back
Top Bottom