1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gosling Care?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by 1lpoock, May 12, 2010.

1. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I may just be worrying too much, but these are my first goslings and I have one pair, so I don't want to lose any. Is there anything I need to do differently for brooding? They are with 7 ducks in the brooder. Do I brood them the same as ducklings? They are a sebastopol pair from holderreads [​IMG] Also, is it true that they grow faster than ducks do? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sleeping
    [​IMG]

2. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] very nice thanks for the pics!

3. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Yep, brood them together, they have the same habits and needs. Geese are esp prone to angel wing, so use the starter feeds only up to three or four weeks (max). There's debate about whether angel wing is hereditary or caused by too high protein after the first month, but best be safe than sorry.

Geese will outstrip the ducklings fast. But geese mature more slowly, don't feather out completely for twelve weeks, and don't sexually mature for two years sometimes. My goose laid eggs like she should but the gander didn't mate her (my eggs I sent to marathonmultiplemom were sterile). They will be a year old in June.

Geese are vegetarians, so it's esp important to give them chopped dandelion greens and grasses right away.

4. Lund Poultry

Lund Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, WI
    there you have it! Kim65 hit the NAILS on the head. It is always nice to see people jump right in and help out! Congrats on the Sebbies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by