gosling dying

emryst

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
woke up this morning and one of my four goslings is definitely dying

it is just lying there with no neck control so i took it out and put it in a separate box... usually terrified of me but made a little peep is all didn't move

is there anything i can do?

it is three weeks old and has been eating and drinking fine...

was fine last night when i fed and watered

okay it looks like he can hold up his head.

i put a heat lamp on him...

not sure what else i can do

he is not moving other then his head/neck just lying there

they are on pine shavings and they do nibble at them when i put fresh ones down...

do you think that could have caused this problem??

Other than heat, and either sugar water, or polyvisol/no iron, or the Poultry Nutri-Drench, I don't know. I had a 6 day old suddenly quit eating, and it just stood in the corner with it's head down for 5 days. Day 12 it perked up, and is fine now. I know this was of no real use to you, but I am sending good thoughts your way, and hoping for the best for your little one...

I called the hatchery where I got them from and they were pretty unhelpful. =(

Just said to keep checking on it and there wasn't much I could do.

i'm not sure i can help, but wanted to offer any support i can. It's hard to say what might have happened to a three week old. If they are safe in a warm dry hutch with shavings, that eliminates any issues of eating something it should not have. Eating spoiled or moldy food can cause issues.

With the sugar water, i don't know the norm, but a teaspoon or so in a cup or two should be okay. You mainly want to boost the blood sugar if it hasn't been eating, give it some energy to fight whatever this is.

Do you have a vet in the area experienced with waterfowl?

They are actually living in our house in an upstairs bedroom with the door open so they are getting plenty of heat from the house. I turned off the heat lamp a few days ago because they never wanted to be anywhere around it and I haven't noticed them huddling or acting cold since then. They get new food and water 3x a day. I wipe out the food dish too so it doesn't seem like the food could be a problem.

Hmm I put less sugar than that in the water because I wasn't sure. When I go home for lunch (at work right now) I will check on him and if he is still alive I will put more sugar in the water.

My SIL got some medicine from the vet for her turkey a few weeks ago that she didn't end up using. It doesn't say what it is on the label, but we are guessing it is antibiotics.

Is it worth giving some of that to the gosling? Or is that too dangerous? Well ultimately I don't even know if it is still alive at this point. =(

Thanks for your support!

I will tell you how I raise my goslings. I use alfalfa grass for bedding. It's healthy & detestable. Chick starter & a healthy amount of chick grit. The grit is a necessity. Make sure they always have plenty of water deep enough for them to stick their beak in so they can clear their sinus. When they shake their head & sling water that's what they are doing. Shavings if eaten can be fatal. I raise all my chicks on alfalfa. It can be purchased in wrapped bails still green & dried. It's wonderful

Back
Top Bottom