Gosling having trouble...

ojum43

In the Brooder
May 19, 2015
We had 4 adult geese. Then a gander started acting strange. He was shaking his head and not being able to honk. He was eating and drinking fine, but was breathing through his mouth. He was generally acting slow. He died about a week later.
While he was acting weird, his mate hatched out two goslings. One was getting stepped on, so I brought him down to the house and put a few young chicks in with him so he wouldn't be lonely. Then he started doing the same thing his dad did, breathing through his mouth and not peeping.
Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions on how to cure this??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had 4 adult geese. Then a gander started acting strange. He was shaking his head and not being able to honk. He was eating and drinking fine, but was breathing through his mouth. He was generally acting slow. He died about a week later.
While he was acting weird, his mate hatched out two goslings. One was getting stepped on, so I brought him down to the house and put a few young chicks in with him so he wouldn't be lonely. Then he started doing the same thing his dad did, breathing through his mouth and not peeping.
Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions on how to cure this??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you looked to see if his nares are clogged up? I know pretty weird question but start there. Hear any rattling when you listen to his chest? eyes clear? Ever wormed your geese? ever heard of gape worm? they live in the trachea and can cause severe anemia my rooster couldn't crow. How old is your gosling now?

Have you looked to see if his nares are clogged up? I know pretty weird question but start there. Hear any rattling when you listen to his chest? eyes clear? Ever wormed your geese? ever heard of gape worm? they live in the trachea and can cause severe anemia my rooster couldn't crow. How old is your gosling now?
What are nares? His eyes are ok, I've never wormed my geese. I've heard of gape worm, but I don't know how to cure it. He is about two weeks old.

Thank you!

What are nares? His eyes are ok, I've never wormed my geese. I've heard of gape worm, but I don't know how to cure it. He is about two weeks old.

Thank you!
Nostrils, water fowl need to be able to clear their nostrils out especially after eating or they can get so clogged they can't breathe[ a bowl deep enough they can stick their head in].Have you thought of taking the little one to the vet? How about the other gosling how is it doing?

You could try a round of antibiotics like tetracycline it can be found at most feed stores. Just seems if your gander died of some kind of disease then the whole flock would be sick and dieing . Gape worm can be treated with Valbazen . I am going to see if @casportpony will help out here she is a good one on meds and diagnosis.

You could try giving the lil one water with ACV in it just to get something going through his nares ACV can kill some bacteria.1Tab to 1 gal of water

pic of homemade waterer
LL

Last edited:
Nostrils, water fowl need to be able to clear their nostrils out especially after eating or they can get so clogged they can't breathe[ a bowl deep enough they can stick their head in].Have you thought of taking the little one to the vet? How about the other gosling how is it doing?

You could try a round of antibiotics like tetracycline it can be found at most feed stores. Just seems if your gander died of some kind of disease then the whole flock would be sick and dieing . Gape worm can be treated with Valbazen . I am going to see if @casportpony will help out here she is a good one on meds and diagnosis.

You could try giving the lil one water with ACV in it just to get something going through his nares ACV can kill some bacteria.1Tab to 1 gal of water

pic of homemade waterer
LL
He does have a container deep enough to dip his head in. The other gosling is perfectly healthy, very active, eating drinking, etc. I have been giving the gosling in the house tetracyline, it seems to be working a little bit, I'm not sure if it is. Where can I get Valbazen? Is it something put in the water? Where can I get ACV?

Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother can be found at grocery stores Braggs and I think Heinz makes it too. I wouldn't do both though wait till finished with the antibiotic first. How many days has the lil one been on the antibiotic?
Valbazen is a wormer not sure if your gosling would need to be wormed but all poultry should be wormed including geese, Geese can also get gizzard worms.I had to order on line through Premier 1 you may find it at other on line places too. It has to be given into the mouth if you decide to worm I can get you pics so you'll know how to do the liquid since you have to be careful not to get it into the wrong place. I think Safe Guard for goats will kill gape worms too. That would have to be looked up.

Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother can be found at grocery stores Braggs and I think Heinz makes it too. I wouldn't do both though wait till finished with the antibiotic first. How many days has the lil one been on the antibiotic?
Valbazen is a wormer not sure if your gosling would need to be wormed but all poultry should be wormed including geese, Geese can also get gizzard worms.I had to order on line through Premier 1 you may find it at other on line places too. It has to be given into the mouth if you decide to worm I can get you pics so you'll know how to do the liquid since you have to be careful not to get it into the wrong place. I think Safe Guard for goats will kill gape worms too. That would have to be looked up.
Thank you so much for all your help, unfortunately, the gosling died this morning. I removed it from the cage, cleaned out the cage and disinfected it, and disinfected the food and water dishes. Do you think it is something that may affect the chicks that were in the gosling's cage?

Thank you so much for all your help, unfortunately, the gosling died this morning. I removed it from the cage, cleaned out the cage and disinfected it, and disinfected the food and water dishes. Do you think it is something that may affect the chicks that were in the gosling's cage?

Not the goose expert as MissLydia is but I work with animals and anytime something dies or has a disease or anything of the likes, we always bleach out the cage, bowls, etc anything that could've come in contact with the chicken.

Not knowing what was wrong with the gosling and I am very sorry to hear it died. I can't say if it could affect the chicks, I hope not, have you thought of having an autopsy done on the gosling so you'll know what it died from especially since it sounds so similar to what happened to your gander. I would keep the chicks away from the rest of the flock and maybe take care of your outside flock before caring for the chicks inside in case it could be contagious. wash hands and don't wear same cloths and shoes around both sets. If you call around to vets they maybe able to help you find a place some universities will do autopsies very reasonable or free.

Again very sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom