Gosling likes to nip.

Mike Winters

Songster
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
One of my week old goslings likes to spend allot of time nibbling on the hand that feeds her and keeps wanting to chew on my figures if given a chance. sure its cute now, but is there a way to teach it biting is not a polite way to ask for food or attention. so it doesn't grow up thinking biting is nice or is this just it saying hello and the gosling with stop using me as a chew toy.

Well it's just the little goslings way of saying hello. Hold your hand out flat to feed them... That way she or he won't be chewing on your fingers..... Also be sure to have food available for them at all times so she doesn't go hungry as well... We love our geese ....White chinese are so great!!! What kind did you get???

Just today when the people came from Ohio to pick up their sebastopol goslings from me I showed them how to correct a gosling chewing on fingers. It is simple when they go to bite you grab the little beak gently hold closed and say NO. They will learn fast that way. The little one did it again to me and I did the same and said NO. The next time the gosling did not grab the finger.

I learned something. But my goslings never nibble on my fingers. Strange I think maybe having the hand flat must make a difference for them....Interesting! Thanks

they are African geese
We have to remember geese /ducks etc have to try things out with their mouths since they don't have hands to feel with, thats why most say don't hand feed because it can lead to nipping, I usually don't mess with them too much as long as it's not my skin they are nipping, like when I am sitting out with them they like to come up and nibble on my shoes etc. again no nibbling on my body[hands or any other part.] now my gander is another story, ever once in a while he has to be reminded that I am not a threat to his mate and I have to correct him for thinking so, but he is an adult.

Back
Top Bottom