Feather pulling gosling

DrHawkeye07

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2017
Minnesota
I've got a pair of Pilgrim goslings, who just turned 5 weeks old. The female is really pulling at the feathers of the male, which he understandably doesn't like. She's pulled several feathers off his flanks, but this morning I found blood on one of his wings where the flight feathers are still growing.

They have plenty of space for just two goslings. I've added toys to stimulate more productive behavior. If it continues, am I headed to having to keep them separated permanently? She's fairly sweet towards me and my family (sometimes a little nippy with clothing). Looking for any other tips or advice I haven't already read online.

Can you get them out on grass for the day? I've had this happen. They get bored. Do you feed them grass clippings?

Yes, they get let out in the grass, and if the weather is poor, then I provide clippings when they are locked in the barn.

Yesterday they were out in the yard all day long, and I could still hear him squealing occasionally because she was picking at him (or attempting to).

You may have to temporarily separate them to break the habit. You also could try a no peck spray to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom