Gosling walking backwards

Raisingpeeps

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Quincy, IL
Friday I was at the feed store and happened to notice a gosling laying on it's back. Clerk said head injury and offered to give it to me if I took the other two. I did. Within 30 minutes of getting home, one gosling had died (not the injured one). It laid down, refused to eat or drink and passed away. Last night the injured one passed away- it was eating and drinking but I think it's injuries may have been internal. Now I have one gosling. It was doing well till last night. Now it is walking backwards, not eating or drinking and stumbles when it walks forward. It's little bottom seems wet and it seems to stay wet, No pasty but and the only poo I have seen so far is liquid.

Here is what I have done so far.
Wet down with vitamin water- Feeding chick feed (non medicated) with nutritional yeast mixed in. Started the yeast on Day 2
Durvet vitamins and electrolytes in water. Started day 1
Started vitamin E (cut capsule open and feed oil). Started Day 3

Any thoughts? I am worried I am going to lose this one too. My first experience with goslings but have raised ducklings in the past.

Thank you for any advice!
Lora

EDITED: She has started drinking independently. All other issues remain.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. I am not familiar with geese, but I would say that you got birds from a bad hatch. The parent stock may have had vitamin or mineral deficiency or they suffered from shipping stress. Hopefully, your ducklings will be more healthy. Be sure to get them on a proper duck feed and give some b complex or nutritional yeast for niacin and other b vitamins.

You need to get them off the chick feed and get them on a flock raiser ASAP. This sounds like a nutritional deficiency.

Medicated start isn’t harmful to goslings or ducklings but medicated start is typically formulated for chicks so it doesn’t have enough B vitamins in it for waterfowl. Vitamin deficiency symptoms can look symptoms of poisoning, hence the misconception that the medicated feed “poisons” waterfowl, it doesn’t.

If your vitamin mix has B vitamins keep giving it to them, if it doesn’t add a B vitamin complex so that they’re getting a full mix of the Bs + whatever else they could be deficient in.

There’s still a good chance that there could also be an illness at play causing the dirty bottom, but that could also be from soiling themselves from sitting down so often do to being so weak from the deficiency.

I would also suggest going to the feed store and asking them what kind of feed they had the goslings on and if it’s the chick start explain to them that they need to have waterfowl babies on purina flock raiser, purina duck feed, or mazuri waterfowl starter.

Back
Top Bottom