Gosling with a bent neck problem.

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
We had a gosling that started to hatch Saturday afternoon. The next day we checked on it and it had about a 2 inch hole but the skin color didn't look right so we decided to help it some. After getting half the shell off we noticed it was grey and clamy looking and was about half dead. We finished hatching it after seeing all the yolk was asborbed and it turned pink again but I don't know if it was cramped up to long or if it's neck grew the way it did. The neck is bent to the side as if it was still in the shell and it won't straighten it out. I've gently tried holding the neck straight but everytime it twitched the muscles kept pulling over to the side. It is moving the head around more but keeping its neck in the same place. We don't know what to do with it since it is the first we had with the problem. I tried looking online but didn't come up with anything. Should we leave it alone but make sure we feed and water it, is there a neck brace we can make, or should we put it down? It can move the legs around alright and is alert.

I wish I knew what to tell you. I'll just bump this up and see if there isn't someone who comes along to help.

I agree. Give the gosling a few days to unroll from the egg shape.
Adding V&E powder to drinking water for a viatmin boost won't hurt either.
Good luck and keep us posted!
smile.png

I also have a gosling just hatched with a bent neck, can I put a splint on it to help it come straight ? any ideas grateful, all others hatched ok.

I also have a gosling just hatched with a bent neck, can I put a splint on it to help it come straight ? any ideas grateful, all others hatched ok.

Hi there, I had a peahen hatch like this several years ago. She was under her mom when she hatched, but she was 2 days later than the other chicks. Her neck never straightened out, she walked funny and could never fly. I read something later after it was too late, it said it was probably from the extra time in the shell, the muscles and bones were in that position too long. It said a foam donut around the neck(like a cervical collar) can help hold it out straight and give the muscles & tendons a chance to stretch, while the bones continue to harden. Must be done asap though, if you wait and it does not correct itself it will be too late to try this. Sorry I cannot remember where I saw the info.

Back
Top Bottom