Goslings and Chicks in Same Brooder?

KatieAnnFrench

Chirping
Apr 5, 2019
I have my 7 chicks and 2 goslings in one large brooder. They are all 4 weeks old, and the biggest issue I've had so far has been the goslings nipping at the chicks tail feathers. The chicks can roost up above the goslings if they want to, and do at night, but when they get nipped they usually just walk away and continue on.

Just wondering if anyone's done this before, and what issues you've had with this setup in weeks 4-8. Not sure when I'll be transferring them all to the outdoor coop, because the weather has been rainy, and there's now a rat situation in the coop.

I wish you luck. I raised my 9 Cayuga ducks whith my pullets of the same age and my biggest problem was mess and competition. The ducks grew ALOT faster and therefore ate alot more feed and would often control the food supply, and waterfowl create insane amounts of muck that can get chicks gross and dirty and sick if not carefully kept up. I put them out at 3 weeks in a snow storm whith 2 heat lamps in there tractor and two tarps covering for wind blockage cause it was just crazy the chicks eventually learned to walk very literally on top of the ducks to get to feed, and that they could make them move whith a stern peck to the rump, but I've never raised geese so I'm not sure how they'd react in such a scenario :) I know at their current 3 months my ducks have growing out of their sibling hood whith the pullets and are now much more bossy, hissy and bitey so I'd keep a close eye on them as geese can be mean and have much larger teeth...

I have my 7 chicks and 2 goslings in one large brooder. They are all 4 weeks old, and the biggest issue I've had so far has been the goslings nipping at the chicks tail feathers. The chicks can roost up above the goslings if they want to, and do at night, but when they get nipped they usually just walk away and continue on.

Just wondering if anyone's done this before, and what issues you've had with this setup in weeks 4-8. Not sure when I'll be transferring them all to the outdoor coop, because the weather has been rainy, and there's now a rat situation in the coop.
Hi How did it all go? Could you please post pictures of your geese and what breeds they are. I’m possible going to have pilgrim embden crosses and I would love to see what yours look like. I do keep them together when the chicks are a little older and the geese are brand new.

Back
Top Bottom