Goslings developing bald patches on sides

We have four embden goslings, about one month old, just starting to get real feathers on their shoulders, and the ledge where the wings rest.
At night they are closed into their hutch, and during the day they are on grass. Night and day, they have access to grain and water.

The last several days, they have started to develop bald patches on either side - right where the feathers are coming in where the wings rest. The skin looks irritated, and I can see stumps (some of them red) where feathers have been pulled out.

We never see them pulling feathers, but it seems to get worse over night. What is going on? Are they likely pulling eachother's feathers or their own? What can we do about this?

We have 2 embden goslings also about a month old. I have watched them pull and eat feathers from each other. Could this be nutrient related. We've raised geese before and have never seen this before.
We have four embden goslings, about one month old, just starting to get real feathers on their shoulders, and the ledge where the wings rest.
At night they are closed into their hutch, and during the day they are on grass. Night and day, they have access to grain and water.

The last several days, they have started to develop bald patches on either side - right where the feathers are coming in where the wings rest. The skin looks irritated, and I can see stumps (some of them red) where feathers have been pulled out.

We never see them pulling feathers, but it seems to get worse over night. What is going on? Are they likely pulling eachother's feathers or their own? What can we do about this?

We also have young embden who are pulling and eating feathers from each other. Could this be related to nutrition? We've raised several geese before but never saw this before.

Hmmm. My 2 goslings in their brooder are showing bald spots and one's has raised irritated red skin under it. They had a nice bath today then right back under the heat lamp and a good grass treat. Both want to get at the shaved pine bedding under the puppy pads I line the brooder with. Maybe I should allow them to be directly on that bedding? But they seem to want to eat it!

Hmmm. My 2 goslings in their brooder are showing bald spots and one's has raised irritated red skin under it. They had a nice bath today then right back under the heat lamp and a good grass treat. Both want to get at the shaved pine bedding under the puppy pads I line the brooder with. Maybe I should allow them to be directly on that bedding? But they seem to want to eat it!

Could you post a few pictures of the bald spots?

Back
Top Bottom