Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

I have three batches of west of englands in the incubators.
7 due this weekend, 3 a couple of days later and then a woopping 12 after that!
the 7 are not quite there yet and their have not lost the correct weight yet.
I have to admit i have only put water in the incubator twice so far. Is this where im going wrong?
I always assumed that more humidity made them keep the weight?
The room humidity is around 25%.

I also was a complete idiot- i dropped one of the eggs onto a hard surface by accident. Egg was on day 18.
Going to have to see if my numptyness has caused it to die. I luckily did not crack the shell.
Humidity does make them keep the weight... lower to lose, higher to slow loss

Yes i went from 5min to 10 and they are now on 15mins cooling.
Im following petes guide and chris ashtons guide.

Is it okay to leave them cooling for 20mins? I was always afraid of leaving them out any longer as our house is quite cold as it is.
If you need to you can do the 20 min a couple times a day Mystil. and welcome back
frow.gif

Congrts Iain utah on joining us!
x2

Thanks! It seems like a risky gamble to place eggs under broodies instead of in my bator, but we will see how it goes. If it works, it will be so much better as my geese can do all the work in raising them up from day one.

Yesterday, knowing one of my African girls had gone broody despite not having any eggs, I relocated her to a safer nest location and gave her three eggs from my white African gander & brown/white splash African goose (hoping to get color sexed white females).  She took to the nest immediately and is sitting tight on the eggs this morning.   I guess you could say that I get to join the hatchalong officially now. :D

Congrats!

Just getting started! Had to toss 4 eggs recently cuz, we found them late...

I actually posted this same question in the African and Chinese Goose thread, but, in case I posted in the wrong spot, I shall ask here.

My gander is a Chinese (butthead who likes to eat 5 year old little girls) and my goose is an African (crab apple who refuses to brood). We are going to try to incubate. Has anyone had a successful hatch of mix breeds?

Just getting started! Had to toss 4 eggs recently cuz, we found them late...

I actually posted this same question in the African and Chinese Goose thread, but, in case I posted in the wrong spot, I shall ask here.

My gander is a Chinese (butthead who likes to eat 5 year old little girls) and my goose is an African (crab apple who refuses to brood). We are going to try to incubate. Has anyone had a successful hatch of mix breeds?

Servpolice raises mixed breeds. I do also and so does livininbrazil.

Back
Top Bottom