Goslings pecking each other.

bigbird

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Ok, I have never had to deal with this problem and I need help asap please. My goslings are 3 weeks old and pecking each other on the area right above the tail. I tried totally separating them and they squawk Like crazy. I've tried putting in toys, extra and different types of foods, tyrying different placements with different goslings. I'm literally at my wits end. Any suggestions? I have 5 of them. Thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

Goslings are psycho nibblers.
It's very common for them to chew on each other despite ones best efforts to provide toys and such to distract them.
I've found even if they are outside grazing on grass ALL day some will still chew on each other at night.
Not to worry though...they always seem to survive their babie issues.
Too bad you can't get them to suck on pacifiers
wink.png

try a small piece of sod for them to nibble. It worked for me with my guys last year till they could get outside. I would dig a new one each day and put back the day old nibbled one back in the yard.

I have four-week old Pilgrim goslings, three of each sex. They are in a VERY large pen - space is not a problem. I have handled them all, and when I get into the cage, they approach and climb into my lap. One female has always been very skittish, and she had started to scream and run around the cage. Once around her, she calms down. I noticed that she was pecking the others, but assumed they would get away from her. When I came home from work last night, she had plucked at the other five to the point of them having blood. I quickly separated her from the others, and treated all of the injured. I'm wondering once they heal if her behavior will begin again. I have picked grass for them, and that makes them all much calmer and busier, and they have toys. They cannot go outside yet to graze because it is only in the 30's and 40's where I live. Any other suggestions?

My first group of goslings last year would chew on the back of the oldest. They did eventually grow out of it. This year with my goslings, i put romaine heads in their pens. i get 3-packs at the 99 Cent Store. It gives them something to chew on, plus they get their greens.

Back
Top Bottom