1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goslings return to Moms..???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Fishwife, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Fishwife

Fishwife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2012
    I have just hatched (not me, of course, I'm just taking credit for it..!) 5 African Dewlap geese, with two more having pipped and resting.

My question: I have a female African and a female Embden cross. I'd like to split up the hatch and give some to each after they are a tad older, having successfully done this with the Emdben's mom. The female African has a mate who is now Flock Master. What potential difficulties am I facing with two females and goslings?

Should I just keep them separate until the gostlings are bigger or what? I don't want to put them out there if there is a danger one of the geese will kill what they may view as interlopers. Obviously I will keep them until they can walk.

I have a 1/4 acre pond, plus one lone Embden male who hangs with the BIG BOSS.

One final question: I've never had problems getting goslings to drink.. these guys... nope. Don't want anything to do with it.

They are in a brooder box on the front porch and I am handing them now and then so they are not freaked out.

Thank you in advance.. any help or critique appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by