Goslings sudden death question

little lil

Chirping
12 Years
Oct 19, 2010
I have buff geese and they had 2 clutches this year. They are very good parents and hatched 5 goslings in the 2nd batch. Everyone has been doing perfect.
I just went to let them out and they were fine walking around and eating, within 15 minutes I noticed one laying out. At first I thought it was just sleeping in the sun by the time I walked over 4 of the goslings were all laying some on their backs and were dying right in front me. I scooped them up quickly and took them in the shade where their water is. They did not recover and slowly died within minutes. They were born on Fathers Day so they were already doing well. It wasn't a hawk or any other animals because I was about 100 feet away. Just wondering if someone has ever had this happen and what could have caused it. Wondering if it was heat related but they have access to clean fresh water and today is only in the 80's compared to how it has been. So, for a long explanation.

oh no! how awful! Im so sorry!
they were 5 or 6 weeks old?
it couldnt be the heat 80 isnt bad
I wonder if they ate some poisonous plants??
edit to add> do you know if any pesticides or herbicides were used in the area they were eating?
did you inspect them for insect stings?

Yes, it was very sad. Also, for the parents. We do not use any pesticides and they have been in the same area walking in the grass like normal. I could check them for insect bites but not sure what could have killed them that quick. I am in NE PA. Everyone else is doing fine and there was no way anything could get near them with the parents. Thanks for the reply.

I mean , it does seem like the heat got to them then, if they werent showing any signs of illness earlier in the day, and walking in the sun, how long did they go without a drink of water? it seems not that long since you were out there and it wasnt far though. so weird! @Goosebaby what do you think

I’m so sorry! This is very unusual!

Heat stroke could be a possibility but it would have had a slower onset at those temperatures so I doubt it is the case.

How many goslings were affected?

Did you notice any other symptoms?

Were any of the other geese affected or show any unusual behaviors or symptoms prior, during, or since?

What feed are they on? Have you noticed any mold or damp clumps in it or an odd smell, anything from a rancid, old milk, cheesy, cooked cauliflower like smells?

Is there any rotting or partially rotten melons and cucumber they could have eaten?

Do you have a pond? Is there blue/green/brown algae in it or in a water source they can reach?

What kinds of plants are in your pasture?

Is there anywhere with old asphalt nearby?

Is there any dirty stagnant water or compost nearby?

Could they have gotten into or been chewing on anything galvanized or with peeling paint?

Do you happen to have any of these plants in your yard to your knowledge and have you seen them chewing/eating them?
Moon flowers, foxgloves, wild onions, toyon, Johnson grass, arrowgrass, Sudan grass, columbine, elderberry, poke berry, white clover, sweetpeas, aspen, hemlock, common mallow, Indian nightshade, potatoes, oleander?

Thanks for answering. 4 of 5 were affected. It was very strange and all last night during my sleep all I could think is they must have ate a plant that could affect them that quickly.
They have access to clean water, no pavement for 1 mile from me, actually I mow the lawn around them all the time so nothing is tall. I tried looking up what plants are toxic to geese, but not much that I have. But it was like they all followed the parents and one at a time were affected. Today, the one that is left is looking good. I will post a picture of where I found them later once I get time. The don't get feed much since there is an abundance of grasses. I've always had geese for the past 20 years and never had this happen.
They were not showing any signs of not being normal. It's terrible because they were a happy family.

I'm with @Goosebaby in suspecting blue-green algae as a possible culprit. Could the goslings have accessed even puddles or standing water that might have toxic algae growth? It can occur even in shallow depressions where water collects and remains for long enough for the cyanobacteria to proliferate, and it can kill quickly.

You may find this article (while specific to ducks) informative and/or helpful. If you have access to a facility that will perform a necropsy, it can provide a definitive answer regarding the cause of death.

My condolences on the loss of the babies.

Thank you so much for the info. I know there is a very shallow waterer that was overnight, that may have had some little slime on it sides. But I do empty 2x's a day and rinse and refill. We have been getting rain almost every day so, it could be related to that. Thank you again.

Thank you so much for the info. I know there is a very shallow waterer that was overnight, that may have had some little slime on it sides. But I do empty 2x's a day and rinse and refill. We have been getting rain almost every day so, it could be related to that. Thank you again.
It’s rainy and it’s been warm, that’s prime mold conditions. Have you seen mold around?

No, I haven't seen mold. The waterer that was outside the coop was from the night before was there. Usually they are excited and I let them out and went to turn on the well water and came back (not far from where this is) like 25 feet, picked it up rinsed and then refilled with fresh water after leave it run for a while. I do believe that is what it had to be. Because there is nothing else possible. I think maybe if it is the waterer, they all ran to it 4 got to drink and by the time I got back, the fifth wasn't able to get to it. Because the parents were protecting and moving away. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom