Got 4 4 week olds...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tadaen sylverma, Oct 23, 2014.

1. tadaen sylverma

tadaen sylverma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    2 Buff Orps and 2 Barred Rocks. One of the Barred may be a cockerel, we aren't positive. Many people post about separation, keeping the little ones away from the big mature ones. I have found the exact opposite. Just to see what would happen I put these 4 in the run with the 9-10lb Australorp and a 2-3lb bantam... some type of game chicken. This has been the most comical thing I've ever seen. The 2 old ladies, 3 years give or take are terrified of the babies. They hide on one side of the run under a pallet that is leaning on the wall of the run. They poke their heads out now and again but mostly stay there. When they are thirsty or eat they come out, the babies run away... soon as they are done, back under the pallet. The babies have almost total run of the place. It's hilarious I find.

I'm fixing to go get 2-3 more 4 week olds from the same place. As my meat plans have fallen through due to my inability to make the kill I'm going for eggs. I'm still trying to get these little ones comfortable around me. Will post pics when I can. Absolutely adorable right now though.

*Edit* I know now why I don't have it in me to kill them, nor will I. When they are young they are comical cute little things. Knowing that, how can I take its head off or slice its neck when the time comes. I will make do with eggs!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    While it is great that it has worked out for you (and especially your birds), this is the exception rather than the rule and the reason people post about the importance of practical integration is because when it does go badly it goes very badly, very quickly and the little ones pay a hefty price.

3. tadaen sylverma

tadaen sylverma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    I just got back form the feed store a bit ago, got the birds yesterday. I had to get a few things as I was ill prepared namely a proper feeder and waterer for the little ones. I mentioned it to the woman working there and she suggested it was a numbers game. Smaller maybe but 4 vs 2. That + size of the run and there nothing for them to fight over really. She mentioned that the Australorp in particular are usually very passive.. and its certainly true in this case.

I know it's not the norm, least I can't imagine it is else people wouldn't be so on about it all the time. Is working this time very well though so I got no complaints, makes my life much easier to deal with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by