???Got A Hatchery Rant??? Post It Here!!!

The Wolf Queen

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I created this so people who have never ordered from a hatchery before, or a certain hatchery in particular, can learn which hatcheries are good and which ones have poor service. This is of course also for people who have had poor service from a hatchery and need to rant and get it off their chest. So if you have a hatchery rant or want to learn who to order from, read this thread and if you have a story post it here. Note every hatchery has their mess ups but some are way worse and don't pay as much attention as they should.

ETA: this thread now has a sister thread that talks about the good hatcheries. To go to that thread click hear -----> https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=189631

Last edited:
Well, I had problems but.... the hatchery shipped on time....the chicks got lost somewhere after the post service was given them.
I now know that 2 shipments of birds were the wrong breed. Yet these were rare breeds coming from somewhere else and the hatchery resent the correct ones. Once the hatchery checked the wrong box when ordering, once they sent silver rather then golden of the same breed.
I also always had the correct sexes of birds.
So, I have had problems but even when it was not the hatchery's fault they corrected it.

I won't order from Ideal again. Every time I have it has not been a good experience. Customer service is friendly but what good is it when they mess up your order?
I have one last order coming in in 2 weeks, much to my dismay because I ordered these many months ago but they somehow got it into the computer wrong.....twice. I hate raising chicks in the heat of summer.

And I'll never order again from Xtreme either. I ordered all pullets and got half the order in roos!!! Never got any credit back for that so money down the drain. So much for a guarantee. Not very good customer service either.

That stinks Nadine. Both the times I ordered from Ideal my order was set up online and both times my order dates needed to be changed, but they were pretty friendly about it and the chicks from the 1rst order arrived healthy and I only lost 1 a few days later. Then on my 2nd order its sheduled to arrive June 26th and they set up my order just fine. Maybe it was just one bad employee or something. Your rant is the 1rst negative thing ive heard about IDEAL.

Quote:
The Golden Lakenvelders (that are silver)
Then Golden Hamburgs
Then true Golden Lakenvelders

Still not sure about what to do with the first batch, I kept waiting for them to turn gold.......still waiting.....

I have a rant. I ordered 25 Light Brahmas from MM 2 years ago. I got my little chicks opened the box and there sat 25 very dark chicks. Not at all what a Light Brahma chick should look like. I called MM and e-mail pictures and they couldn't tell me what they were. They asked what I want to do about it. I told them I just want what I ordered and they sent me 25 more. I got the chicks opened the box and it was the same thing. So I raised these things up and they did start to look like Light Brahma, but things were still not right. I had birds with orpington colored legs(white), some with spotted legs, some with dark legs. I had a Light Brahma breeder take a look at my birds and she said without a doubt these "Brahmas" were mixed with something. So I ended up with some sort of Brahma cross. I was not a happy camper, my plan for these birds was for my daughter to show a county fairs. Nope instant disqualify. But they did say she could show in the utility class which was made up of cross hens. That's my rant thanks for letting me get it out.
BTW the free surprise chick they sent was a Buff Cochin and he grew up to be beautiful and true to breed.
Needless to say I won't buy from MM again. I don't need overpriced cross breeds.

Robyn

I ALSO ordered 20 Light Brahma Pullets and 8 White Silkies from Murray Mcmurray two months ago. I was sent 8 White Frizzle Cochin Bantams, and the Light Brahmas Are TERRIBLE! They were nearly completely black! I know not to expect show quality from hatchery, but this isn't even true to breed. The Light Brahmas had dark legs, and they had very, very, little yellow or white on them at all as chicks. the only good things I can say about the transaction is that they were VERY healthy chicks.

They REALLY need to do something about those Light Brahmas. They are not true to type at all. I have since gone to another hatchery, and got great looking chicks

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom