Got a new bunny - how to get the new and older one to get along??

JLS

Love my feathered babies!
14 Years
May 29, 2009
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Netherland Dwarf rabbit about 5 months old (purchased from a breeder 1 month or so ago). I brought my rabbit with me to the same breeder to see if I could find another rabbit to take home with me as a pet/playmate. The breeder suggested a Holland Lop that is the same size as my dwarf. At the breeders everything went fine. I bought a new HUGE cage w/ all new equipment.

I have been letting them be together in the same playpen (attached to the new cage). At first the Dwarf was being kind of aggressive toward the Lop. Now the Lop is standing her ground. They've circled and chased each other. There's been some foot stomping but it's quiet right now.

What can I do to help them get along better? It doesnt seem to be too aggressive but how do I know when to step in? I was hoping that they would continue to accept each other like they did at the breeders - the lop groomed the dwarf at the rabbitry!

Honestly unless you have them spayed/neutered then I'd keep them apart and even then I'd still keep them apart. I've seen too many rabbits tear each other to shreds out of territorial aggression. Females are the worst for this.

I agree with 2cool4you, rabbits generally do not get along unless they have been raised together and even then sometimes problems can occur. They really do need their own space. If you get them spayed/neutered, this will help but in the end having separate cages or a divided large cage is most likely necessary. That's not to say that they couldn't be in the same area for playtime (as long as they are the same gender if they are not fixed) if it is big enough and there is enough for them to be distracted by. Good luck!

The first question that I would ask is what sex are the rabbits? Very rarely will two bucks get along. Two does might eventually accept one another if their pen is large enough, but there is always the potential for fighting and physical damage. Rabbits by nature are territorial and tend to resent another invading their space. Attempting to socialize them in a neutral space might have some success, but do so under supervised conditions.

Get them spayed/neutered first. Then you could work on bonding them. House Rabbit Society has ideas on their website to bond rabbits. I have a bonded pair male/female that just love each other and spend a lot of time snuggling.

Thank you to everyone. I purchased a different cage for the Holland Lop today. She's getting bit really bad
sad.png
I noticed that both rabbits seemed very content when they were seperated. I had good intentions but was a bit misguided. Oh well...live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom