Ducks not getting along

Onemoreduck

Hatching
Sep 18, 2022
My CALL duck, he lost her mate about six months ago, I just got a new pair of calls in, and my older hen is constantly attacking the new young female. She’s totally fine with the drake, so I have to assume she’s trying to claim the Drake for herself? I have a smaller pen, set up inside the run so they can be close, but she will even try to attack her when they are separated. Sometimes on land, they will get along as long as the young female stays away from the older hen, but in the confines of the water, the older hen relentlessly chases and grabs the young duck. I am not really set up to have to keep them separate indefinitely, so I’m wondering if getting another young Drake would even things out and give each female a drake, or if that will just cause more fighting between the drakes and the hen would still be aggressive. I did not expect these emails to not get along, the older hand has been lonely for so long. I assume she would welcome new ducks. Any suggestions? I’m hoping somebody will say they had the same thing happen, and eventually they all get along…

I think most of the time they do work those things out some of my all female flock ducks have been fighting lately. I think they’re working out the pecking order for the new year.
I don’t know if it’s different with calls, but with regular ducks, the proper ratio is one drake for every 3 to 5 hens, so getting another Drake is probably not a good idea

also if you can give them extra places to hide and bigger area to not be seeing each other all the time thats helpful. maybe even set up a second little swim area. Can yu post a picture of your ducks's swimming area? How is it "confined"
I use 2 baby pools and ducks can jump in and out from all sides anytime

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom