New to Ducks ---- Drakes v Hens

pembrokenh

Hatching
Mar 29, 2024
Hello,

I am new to this forum (and raising birds). My wife and I recently purchased a homestead of roughly 20 acrs. We are going to fence off roughly 1 acre for ducks. My plan is to purchase two dozen pekin ducks (and a couple geese). My goal is to raise these ducks for a combination of meat and eggs (I realize pekin are not the greatest layers, but I am ok with this). I was specifically wondering what to do with the drakes. To be more specific, I have a couple questions about drakes:

1. Does ratio of Hens to Drakes matter? If I keep all the drakes is this is a problem (ie overbreeding)? If the ratio is a problem, what do people do with young drakes (some people seem to like keeping the ratio of drakes low?). If its possible I would like to raise the drakes for meat and keep roughly half the hens for eggs and use the other half for meat.

2. If I do keep Drakes, is the meat yield similar to hens? Is the difference between the meat yield similar to or smaller than in chickens?

3. (not a drake v. hen question) --- Once a duck no longer lays, can it be harvested for meat? Are ducks like chicken in the sense that old layers tend to be tough?

4. (not a drake v. hen question) --- Are there any big differences in feed requirement between layers and meat ducks? We are planning to let them free range and they will have access to a pond. We keep a large vegetable garden and I am hoping to feed them as much greens and protein rich vegetables as possible and minimize use of pellets (trying to control what they eat).

Really appreciate the help here.
Steve

Hi! And :welcome !

Hello,

I am new to this forum (and raising birds). My wife and I recently purchased a homestead of roughly 20 acrs. We are going to fence off roughly 1 acre for ducks. My plan is to purchase two dozen pekin ducks (and a couple geese). My goal is to raise these ducks for a combination of meat and eggs (I realize pekin are not the greatest layers, but I am ok with this). I was specifically wondering what to do with the drakes. To be more specific, I have a couple questions about drakes:
What kind of Pekin are you planning to get? You might be better off with one of the slightly smaller breeds, like Rouen. Or, if you prefer a white duck, perhaps a Priduction Aylesbury. Pekin grow very fast and need special attention to their niacin intake as they tend to develop leg problems easily. Also, all that extra bulk makes it more difficult on their poor hearts and they don't live as long.

1. Does ratio of Hens to Drakes matter? If I keep all the drakes is this is a problem (ie overbreeding)? If the ratio is a problem, what do people do with young drakes (some people seem to like keeping the ratio of drakes low?). If its possible I would like to raise the drakes for meat and keep roughly half the hens for eggs and use the other half for meat.
It matters very much, yes. Too many drakes and you will have overbreeding of the hens, as well as fighting. Are you planning on breeding? And will you be harvesting them the same year? If you breed, you'll need the lower number and realize that Pekin don't go broody very much so you'll have to hatch your own eggs. If for meat, then you'll be processing the drakes before they become too rowdy.

2. If I do keep Drakes, is the meat yield similar to hens? Is the difference between the meat yield similar to or smaller than in chickens?
Drakes tend to be larger. Also, with Pekin, you'll get a more than with a chicken, depending on breed.

3. (not a drake v. hen question) --- Once a duck no longer lays, can it be harvested for meat? Are ducks like chicken in the sense that old layers tend to be tough?
Ducks have a longer consistent laying life than chickens, but yes, you can harvest them. Just cook slower so the meat is more tender, or stew, just like with an older chicken.

4. (not a drake v. hen question) --- Are there any big differences in feed requirement between layers and meat ducks? We are planning to let them free range and they will have access to a pond. We keep a large vegetable garden and I am hoping to feed them as much greens and protein rich vegetables as possible and minimize use of pellets (trying to control what they eat).
Layers will need extra calcium. Meat will probably need more protein. There's a whole forum specifically for meat birds.

Really appreciate the help here.
Steve
I'm sure others will add their own thoughts and comments. This is a very friendly and helpful site. You're welcome, and again, welcome! :D

Agreed with Canadian Wind.

To add to 1., An improper ratio will stress out your flock to no end. Hens may stop laying, be injured, or even killed from the over-mating. Drakes will fight, feathers will be pulled from all ducks. Extra drakes are either re-homed or culled. My personal recommendation is 1 drake to every 4 - 5 hens.

Back
Top Bottom