Mating season

TwinDuckies

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2024
Hi everyone! So I am a duck mommy who has 11 ducks (7 drakes and 4 ducks). With mating season coming up and me still being a (somewhat) new/inexperienced duck mommy, I was just hoping for some opinions on how I have my drakes/ducks fenced areas split up. I've been hearing ugly stories lately about ducks getting drowned/hurt by drakes during mating season and don't want any of my precious duckies to fall victim to this 😞🦆🦆🦆🦆. (I'm so sorry for the long post but I wanted to be thorough)

I have my male Saxony and older male Pekin with my crested duck who, for whatever reason, none of my drakes ever try to mate with so I'm not worried about having them together they get along beautifully.

I have my 2 Rouen females (Freddie and Kingsley) and my female Khaki (Pharaoh) with my oldest Rouen drake, my male Swedish Black duck, and my younger male Pekin (who is not hormone driven at all whatsoever so no worries there)

My youngest twin Rouen drakes are housed separate because all the other drakes won't stop fighting with them 😞🦆🦆 . I have a little small doorway where Freddie, Kingsley, and Pharaoh can go back and forth to where they're fenced and where the twins are, but made sure its too small of an area for my boys to fit through (so they won't fight each other)

Not sure of your location so I can't know what your temperatures are like. Some of these drakes may be fine now but could drastically change as spring hormones kick in. I only have Muscovy ducks so I can't comment on which breed of ducks should be together but it should be 1 drake per at least 4 females. You may need to have 2 flocks with 1 being all males, always separated.
I would keep a very close eye on the dynamics within the groups. The idea that a female can be killed by drowning and/or over-mating is real.

Back
Top Bottom