Do your female ducks argue

TwinDuckies

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2024
Hi everyone! Does anyone else have female ducks that argue (just verbally) with each other? LOL!!😂

My beautiful but tomboyish female crested duck Eminem (I thought she was a boy when I got her) and my equally gorgeous Rouen Freddie are always arguing with each other. I will hear one quack loudly "AH-AH-AH-AH!!" And then right after the other will respond "AH-AH-AH-AH!!" This can go on for as long as 15 minutes. If Freddie stops responding, Eminem will keep trying to get a reaction from her "AH-AH-AH-AH!! AH-AH-AH-AH..? AH-AH-AH-AH!!" before giving up.

What makes this even more funny to me is that the last time this happened, we caught Freddie's boyfriend Onyx (a very handsome Swedish Black duck), cheating on Freddie with her sister Kingsley (also a Rouen) while Freddie took a nap. It was like Eminem was trying to get a rise out of her (LOLOLOL)

Now Freddie and Kingsley will both walk up to Eminem and Kingsley will make this adorable but very mocking sounding noise "BAHBAHBAHBAHBAH!!" Which in turn makes Eminem furious and she charges towards the fence (they're separated) "Let me at them let me at them!!" And her friends Roy and Poseidon will try to hold her back.

Only my female muscovies do this. They will scream at each other (which is very odd sounding, like dinosaurs or something lol) and maybe chase each other around briefly, but usually no actual fighting.

It's very random and out of the blue. It's like someone irritates someone else and then all 4 of them start having a screaming match lol.

One of my girls argues with ME. Yells at me when the food bowl is empty, yells at me to let her out of the coop early. She’ll run right up to me and ‘quack quack quack’ til she gets what she wants. She wags her tail the whole time, so I know she’s just messing around 🤣 She is just so excited
Aww that is so cute.. reminds me of my girls!! LOL 😂 Is she by any chance a Rouen duck? My Rouen girls seem to love bossing me around lol which I find to be cute and hilarious. They yell "AH-AH-AH-AH!!" So loudly I could hear them from inside of the house, then when they see me coming to give them whatever it is the want (they always get what they want lol) they start wagging their tails bobbing their heads excitedly and making a noise that sounds to me like giggles (kind of like "aha aha ah ah aha aha!!) Aww 🥰 🦆

Only my female muscovies do this. They will scream at each other (which is very odd sounding, like dinosaurs or something lol) and maybe chase each other around briefly, but usually no actual fighting.

It's very random and out of the blue. It's like someone irritates someone else and then all 4 of them start having a screaming match lol.
That is so cute..seeing as ducks (birds in general) are supposedly the closest living relative of dinosaurs, maybe our girls are just getting back to their prehistoric roots 🦖🦕 😆 😊. Muscovies are just too cute 🥰

My girls have been going at it too even some pushing and shoving.No injuries just alot of fussing with each other.. Pretty nutty.
I agree..its pretty unusual. If only we could speak their language and understand what our little feather babies are fighting about 😆 lol

Aww that is so cute.. reminds me of my girls!! LOL 😂 Is she by any chance a Rouen duck? My Rouen girls seem to love bossing me around lol which I find to be cute and hilarious. They yell "AH-AH-AH-AH!!" So loudly I could hear them from inside of the house, then when they see me coming to give them whatever it is the want (they always get what they want lol) they start wagging their tails bobbing their heads excitedly and making a noise that sounds to me like giggles (kind of like "aha aha ah ah aha aha!!) Aww 🥰 🦆
I believe she’s a Buff x Rouen mix - not entirely sure. Your girls sound very familiar lol
If only we could speak their language and understand what our little feather babies are fighting about 😆 lol
I’ve actually done a bit of studying on domestic duck calls + behavior and what they mean, so if you have any audio or video of them, I’d love to try and decipher what they’re saying :)

I believe she’s a Buff x Rouen mix - not entirely sure. Your girls sound very familiar lol

I’ve actually done a bit of studying on domestic duck calls + behavior and what they mean, so if you have any audio or video of them, I’d love to try and decipher what they’re saying :)
That would be so awesome, thank you!! 😊😊 😊😊 I actually have a few videos on my old phone that I'd really appreciate you checking out 🙂. I've actually really been wanting to do similar studies myself as well, can you recommend any reading or good resources to me on duck behavior?

My girls with my 2 youngest boys (they're twins, hence my user name) lol 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240203-093811~2.png
    Screenshot_20240203-093811~2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240203-101125~2.png
    Screenshot_20240203-101125~2.png
    575.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240203-093630.png
    Screenshot_20240203-093630.png
    518.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240127_154300.jpg