got a new puppy and going to do this right

Pics
I don't agree with that. I know several dogs who have been trained with balanced training (treats and corrections) who perform the exact same way (and happen to excel in obedience and in the field. I can pull them up later to show titles but I don't remember reg names). It's not 'cookie or rabbit' its 'do I have the impulse control and bond with my handler to listen right now'.
In **my opinion**, the best way to train is by communicating to your dog what is good and what is not good. When raising a kid, would you ever only tell them what they're doing well and NEVER ask to change anything? Because dogs and people don't speak the same language, it's a little tougher. Figure out what motivates your dog (a toy? a treat? a game of tug? Praise?) and then mark and reward anything that it does well with that. When your dog does something wrong, give a correction to mark the incorrect behavior. When done correctly, this is communicating to your dog 'this is what I want you to do, you're doing well' and 'this is what I don't want you to do, change it'.
Both of these statements make sense to me, I love hearing different methods. I think that the bug issue is when owners over use treats, or use them in place of a correction. Your case the method seems to work well. Thanks for sharing this with me. :)

Both of these statements make sense to me, I love hearing different methods. I think that the bug issue is when owners over use treats, or use them in place of a correction. Your case the method seems to work well. Thanks for sharing this with me. :)
I don't personally agree with using solely positive reinforcement- that's like giving a kid candy whenever they do something good, and never giving any other feedback, but still getting annoyed when they mess up.

Back
Top Bottom