Got a Problem here.. NEED HELP PLEASE!

Debbi

Crowing
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Missouri
I may need some help here. I went out to check on the chooks around noon, and noticed one of the 5 month old BC Marans pullets standing off by herself, fluffed up. It was a fairly warm day, 50s, but cloudy and damp. Got her in the coop to inspect her, thought maybe crop was looking a bit larger than normal. Felt the crop, and while it was full, it was not hard. She didn't seem to have any problems running to get away from me, but when she stopped, she went back to the fluffed ball-like posture. Looked to me, just watching her like she had a belly ache. I did worm all of them with Wazine 17 on Monday, and all others are fine. She was fine this morning, but by noon looked like this. She is the only one that the dirty old man Fuglee roo has been breeding for like the last 2 weeks on a regular basis. Her stomach and vent did not appear to be hard, nor could I feel an egg. I've never had to deal with a sick chicken, so I'm at a loss here. She was eating, drinking, and pooping earlier today. I brought her in the house and put a lamp at one end of the cage for her, and she seems to be appreciating the warmth. I gave her a squirt of vitamins/electrolytes, and a squirt of olive oil in case it may be her crop, and massaged it for a while. She has access to vit/electrolyte water, and feed, but so far she's just laying down getting warm. Any suggestions here?? Will go to town in the morning for some yogurt, antibiotics, and anything else you folks can come up with. Of course this would happen when nothing is in the house! Any help would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
Quote:
No. Black Copper Marans tend to lay later on, but 5 months old is not totally out of the question. She is being bred by a roo, but don't know how successful he's been. I checked her vent and belly for any signs of egg swelling or broken egg, but find nothing.

Try visually inspecting her for lice/mites, and wounds incurred by the rooster from constantly mating with her, check her sides/underneath for puncture wounds from spurs. Provide her with plain yogurt and scrambled egg or canned beef catfood for extra protein. (When you get the chance)

Quote:
Thanks, she's been through a good inspection with no wounds or lice/mites found, as have all the others. The roo is still a cockerel too, same age, so the spur thing isn't a problem yet. Not even a feather out of place, she just was fine, then didn't look "right" today. I will give her some more vit/electros before I go to bed tonight, and if she's not eating/drinking on her own in the morning, will give her some warm mash with egg and water solution. The lamp seems to have helped, at least she seems more comfortable. She seems to be favoring her left eye, as she keeps the white lid over it, just the left eye. I checked it for any signs of trauma, but found nothing. No discharges anywhere, no labored or shallow breathing, crop is now near empty, just don't know what it could be? She is plump and glossy and seems very comfortable in the house under the light. Will keep watching her, it's about all I can do at this point.

Check her vent and see if it's red and inflamed, this could be another sign that she's eggbound, even if you can't feel an egg.

Well, whatever it was, it has passed this morning!!
wee.gif
She is up, jumping on and off the roost bar in the cage, eating and drinking! She is telling me in NO uncertain terms, "LET ME OUT OF HERE!" Clucking her fool head off, music to my ears. Could she have just been constipated?? Looks like about 6 good sized presents she left in the cage overnight.
lol.png
Both eyes are wide open and bright, so later today, back out she goes. Phew...

Back
Top Bottom