got a problem here

silkieowner

Songster
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Hi everyone i got a major problem here, I have a broody silkie hen sitting on 6 eggs which are due to hatch today. I went in there to check on them to find mama has pecked the top off the egg off one of the chicks. Eg it was bleeding the chick is still alive. I brought it inside and have put it in the incubator wraped in a damp warm cloth. What should i do? should i take all eggs from mama hen and put them in the bator or leave them with mama? She is a first time broody.
Picture
BILD0343.jpg

Its chirping still

How hurt will *you* be if you lose some or all of them? If very hurt, put them in the bator. If not so much, let her keep trying but keep an eye on her.

Neighbor had a silkie that hatched a bunch, everything looked fine, and then overnight she killed half of them for no apparent reason. There is no way to know what the hen is thinking.

Good Luck with your hatch!

well the little chick tryed getting out of the egg which caused more bleeding. It was so tired and weak i helped it out. It has asorbed all its yolk but the inside of the egg was full of blood. So god knows what had happened. When i got it out it was moving pretty well trying to get up. If it survives through the night it will be a miricle. My hands were covered in blood.

Back
Top Bottom