Got a Question. (All Input Will Be Helpful)

Xovan

Songster
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Oneida County , NY
I was wondering if any one used a high power air rifle to help as a pest/predator "deterrent"? I have a neighbor that is far enough away by law to use one of my powder rifles but they can be a PITA. So if I can do it without ruffling any feathers it would be worth the couple hundred bucks.

What do you mean far enough away by law? And what are you calling a powder rifle? Do you mean black powder as in muzzle loader?

By deter predators do you mean kill them or shoot them in the rear to sting and scare them off? You can do either with a air rifle but it would depend on the size of the animal and the distance you are shooting as well as whether you intend to kill it or not.

If I shoot I shoot to kill and I personally wouldn't mess with a air rifle, I would say get a good 22 or even better a 22 magnum, they aren't expensive and can kill at a decent range.

Sorry for not being more clear. NY law says 500 ft for a gun black or smokeless powder. I have a full Gun cabinet with every thing from .22 to 30-06. Shot gun and Black powder included. Yes Kill was my intent. Shots would be about 15 yards.

I always hear of all these states or counties with laws pertaining to shooting guns, no guns in town, have to be 100 ft from a neighbors house or whatever. What I say about these laws is that they pertain to hunting or sport/target shooting, they don't pertain to you using your gun to defend yourself or your livestock from criminals or animals, if that were the case then everyone who legally carries a gun in self defense in many areas would be breaking the law to protect themselves or others. You have a right in most areas to protect your livestock, regardless of any anti gun laws.

I would use a 22 or 22 mag at that distance they will kill most anything. A good air gun would probably work on most chicken predators but I just don't like the idea of relying on that.

The .22 caliber CB's are very quiet.Much quieter than shorts.Don't know what you are after but is trapping an option?Making sets after dark?What critter are you talking about?

I do not know how anything can be quieter than cbs, the cbs I have had in the past don't make any sound other than the click of the firing pin when being shot from a 22 rifle, they made a slightly louder snap when fired from a handgun as it doesn't do as good a job muffling the sound.

Get a Ruger .177 ari rifle
I've seen them for $80 at the local pawn shop and they're not much more brand new. I have shot and hunted with everything from .17s, .22s, 12 and 20 gauges, 30-06s and my .177 is by far my favorite gun.
What are you looking to kill? I have killed 25lb+ raccoons with it, easily. And anything smaller too. The pellets are very small but mushroom out to do a lot of damage. They make virtually no sound when compared to a .22, using any type of ammunition (at least all the different kinds I've used with mine).
I got mine so I could continue shooting nuisance animals at night without my neighbors complaining and it's worked amazingly so far. They're made very well and mine is heavier than my semi auto .22 and my bolt action .22.
It's 1000fps and accurate up to 100yards. I swear by this thing.

http://m.sportsmansguide.com/Product.aspx?a=436725&tab=1

Quote: "CB" is a generic term that covers several different loads.
The slower the projectile, the quieter the load.
.177 air rifles are NOT reliable killers on anything larger than squirrels, and quiet loads are a lot cheaper than an air rifle and pellets

"CB" is a generic term that covers several different loads.
The slower the projectile, the quieter the load.
.177 air rifles are NOT reliable killers on anything larger than squirrels, and quiet loads are a lot cheaper than an air rifle and pellets

Where's your evidence on that? I've killed countless raccoons and possums, with one hit with my air rifle. If you don't want to believe me that's your business. Like I said, I haven't used CBs before so I don't know much about it. All I'm saying is one shot to the head, and you got yourself a dead raccoon.
I don't know where you live but I haven't been able to find ammunition anywhere. Especially any kind of .22 ammunition. Any boxes I do find are a lot more expensive than they used to be. I had one guy tell me the store wanted $100 just for a brick. And if you don't think air rifles aren't reliable killers for anything bigger than squirrels, try telling that to all the other animals bigger than squirrels I killed with it. If you're a good shot with it, you don't have much to worry about. I killed this raccoon, with one shot, with my air rifle. It weighed 28 pounds and was on top of my chicken coop. One shot to the back of the neck and it was dead instantly. It's definitely strong enough to kill a raccoon.

Back
Top Bottom