Got a surprise today

Discussion in 'Quail' started by minna, Jun 13, 2009.

1. minna

minna Songster

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    A month or so back I lost a brooder full of quail chicks, I had bought some eggs and hatched them and then lost them. I was upset, I have 3 adult bobwhites and the idiot I bought them from made me an even bigger idiot and sold me 2 males and 1 female as a trio and I of course didn't know the difference. So I was double upset about my quail endeavors, to top it off my single female hasn't laid a single egg. My neighbor just surprised me with a cage full of adult quail. Only problem is I have not idea what kind they are there are basically two colors with a little variation. Can anyone identify them for me?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Coturnix quail. Check out the threads on the Quail board. Most folks have these ones.

3. minna

minna Songster

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Awesome !! thanks!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The lighter colored one is a golden coturnix male. I can't see the front of the other one good enough to determine the sex, but it is either a normal (size) brown or a jumbo (size) brown. If it has red or rust colored feathers on its breast, with no spots then its a male. If it has blonde colored feathers with black spots on its breast, then it's a female. But yes, they are coturnix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: