got another incubator...is it ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tsagirl, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    soooo...I broke down and got a Little giant still air because my hatcher that I build, the temps fluctuate soo much and I would be scared the babies would not survive. So took my good hard earned $40 to the feed store and bought one as a hatcher. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Has anyone had good luck with the little giant? Do you think it might be better then the hovabator 160N that I have. BTW....(side note) bought a fan for it...YEA!
    [​IMG]

Now lets hope it works. I have eggs that go into the hatcher on the 16th and out of the 24 that I recived, 19 have babies. whoohoo. Then Jodys eggs go into the hatcher on the 18th and Lisas eggs go in at the end of this month. I have my own personal hatching operation. LOL

Next batch will be for my daughters classroom! [​IMG] [​IMG]

OK hope to hear from you all....I love everyones imput!
    [​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    lots of luck with the new bator! After my duck eggs I am only going to use my bator as a reptile bator

3. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    so is yours a little giant? how is your hatch rate?
    [​IMG]

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    no sorry. I have the brower top hatch. out of 15 eggs 11 hatched. all 15 were fertile.

5. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    Hi,
    There is a group of fellow BYC'ers that are using little giants and we are in the midst of incubating....I'm thinking everyone on that thread are first-timers...I am.
    search that thread..something on there may help you.
    Best Wishes [​IMG]

Edited to add: the name of the thread is Please Hold My Hand

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  6. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I have 3 LGs all are forced air. I have good luck with them. I have learned to control the humidity with the red plugs and the temp holds good for me. I have one going now with 23 eggs in it. I also have a turner that i use . One i use as a hatcher.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I personally don't like the little giant, but I am using it for a hatcher, and it seems to work for that purpose. I wouldn't use it anymore for incubating, the temps were too uneven. I got the hovabator, and someday when I sell lots of chickies I'll use the money to buy a sportsman or something like it [​IMG]

8. Hi!
    I *usually* have good luck with the LGs (I have 2 still air and one with a fan).

Good luck with your new bator!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by