Got Caught!

Nope, thought crossed my mind, because I am not allowed to have backyard chickens in my residential area, but thought that if I get caught, it would hamper any chance to change things. I think I was reading that in New York City it is allowed on 5 acres, come on!!!!!

If I where you I would go to the neighbor that ratted you out and make them an OFFER THEY CAN'T REFUSE!!!
It always works..

I would look for communities that have permissive ordinances, get copies and try to get your ordinances changed. 4 acres is absolute nonsense. How many people have that kind of acreage!? With more and more Americans trying to be more self-sufficient backyard chicken keeping is going to grow. For obstinate municipalities it is going to take persuasion. My coop is less than 75 feet from the nearest dwellings and we got the okay. They just don't allow roosters in my vity. I'm okay with that.

Sorry to hear about that.

Just about all my neighbors have kids and we've already done the "come play with our chicken" thing (and bribed the other neighbors with eggs). We got good neighbors, but I guess somebody could still rat us out.

I live on a 1/5th of an acre and am allowed 4 chickens. I always have a dozen or more. No one complains about them luckily. However, they do complain about my goats. Even though we live in a rural, unincorporated area of the county they want us to have 2 acres for 2 mini goats. We could have 4 horses on 1/2 an acre, but need 2 acres for goats and lots of chickens. We sold our house and tried to comply, but land in CA is so expensive we couldn't do it. So we bought a house on a corner and did the best we could with putting the coop and goat house as far from everyone as possible.

When I got sited again, I went to court and fought it. The county never showed up to prove their case so I won by default. I would say do some research on other cities ordinances and then make a case and fight it. In Brooklyn, NY for instance, you can have as many chickens as you will clean up after. So many cities have stupid anti chicken and goat laws. It is up to us to change them I guess. I know more and more people in my area are keeping illegal chickens. If enough of us do it, then we will have a stronger case. Lady up the street from me is building a coop as we speak and I am aiding her in her illegal chicken quest. Yeah me! I have no problem with going to a supervisor's meeting and bringing as many chicken people with me as I can and making a case for chickens. I told him this at our last meeting. Haven't hear a peep since then. He hasn't changed the ordinance, but they are bothering me either. But if they do I will fight!

Back
Top Bottom