Got Chickens two days ago!

foweler

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Chico, CA
Hi All...

My wife broke down and OK'ed 2 chickens about 5 months ago. I got her up to 3 about 3 weeks ago.
We live in a small city (Chico, CA) and don't have much yard so roosters are out of the question.
I finished building the coop in by buddies shop last Friday and he helped me move it to our backyard last Saturday. An hour later we were standing in our local chicken ladies (I'm sure there are more but she's the one as far as I'm concerned) pen talking chicken.

We selected a Rhode Island Red (4 weeks), a Light Brahma (4 weeks) and a Brown Leghorn (2 weeks).
I'm very much in love with my chickens at this point. Can't get enough of them.

The coop was of basic sound design and probably big enough (it weighs a ton and I still have to move it about 20' so I can build the run against it) for 8-10 of them but I've been modding it for creature comforts for both them and me for two days straight. (Who'd have thought a window would be useful? And it suddenly got cold and I have too much out of control ventilation)

Anyway, I'm glad to find such a rich resource for information and interaction between people who share this strange affliction that causes most of my friends and family to glance at me sideways.

Awwwwww.....congratulations on the new babies and
welcome-byc.gif

You COULD post pics.
smile.png
We wouldn't complain!!!!
smile.png

Nice to meet you Fowler:>)You will enjoy them I am sure. You can close off the ventelation with plastic for now, chicks that young in a large enough space can do without for a while

Nobody mentioned what an idiot I am as Saturday was THREE days ago!!! Oops!
Working on posting pics. Need to take a couple of new ones and don't know how to insert pics yet.

Thanks morelcabin, am doing just that with the 4 mil plastic. I'm down to less than a square foot of vent now. I can open quite a bit of vent and will need to as it gets above 100F here in summer.
The coop (as you will see once I get the hang of the img tag) is just undersized from 4' x 8' and 4' high at the low end (the front, doh- forgot about rain draining down my back) with the idea being to use a single 4 x 8 sheet for the roof. The floor is up 2' from the ground to keep my sore back from bending over to low while I adore the chickens and service their needs. And of course the nest boxes are up at chest level to me with a door at their rear so I can comfortably rip off their eggs

Back
Top Bottom