1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got empty wire spools? Here's an idea!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greenfamilyfarms, Feb 12, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of it without the doors installed. These are recycled wire spools (FREE!) from the electric company. We used 5 foot biddy wire, but I think it would work out better if you can find the 6 foot wire. That way, the middle section will be larger. If interested, I will post pictures of the final product.

We've made two of these so far and still have wire left over. I plan to put pigeons and small bantams in the pens.

Spools = Free
    Scrap wood = Free
    5' Roll of wire = $45.00

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. VERY COOL IDEA!!!!!

3. ArtsyMom

ArtsyMom New Egg

Jan 30, 2009
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Very cool!
    Why did you leave a space between the two?

4. Honey1

Honey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    Michigan
    That is really neat!

What a great idea!

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Well, that's why I said that the 6 foot wire would work better. The space is just over a foot tall in the center. Probably try a pair of pigeon in there, but if they can't stand up, I'll probably just use it for storage... or whatever!

6. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    WOW!!! What a fantastic idea !!! I have to show hubby this one....More photo's [​IMG] please !!!

7. The only thing I worry about it cleaning it... Will you put shavings in the bottom? If so, you should put a bottom band about 3" wide around it, so they all don't get kicked out...

8. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Good Job!! Got to find me some spools.[​IMG]

9. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I absolutely love this! What a great idea for Seramas! They are so little, one spool would probably be enough! I've also thought of some OEGB and this is just their size! I wonder how hard it would be to run a ramp down in between the two spools?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  10. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    OR>>>>>>>>> A RABBIT HUTCH!!!! .....for my DECK!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by