Got Flogged by A rooster tonight

I had a roo up close and personal in my face one time.

I was 5 and always insisted on going with my mom to gather eggs. We had a mean as hell roo who disliked everyone, but had a special hatred for me. My mom would keep herself between him and I, and she'd bend down with me between her arms and legs so I could get the eggs. This worked for a while. Then one night he snuck in and took advantage of the small area between her leg and arm... to peck me in the temple about a 1/4 inch from my eye. Took out a good chuck of skin.

We had him for dinner that night.

That was the one and only time a roo will ever be near my face, unless he's been at a slow simmer for a couple hours. My current cockerel is very calm (for the time being) and doesn't even think about getting testy with me. But he may at some point. And I won't have any problem putting him in his place - it'll be up to him whether that place is with MY hens or the crockpot. I love my chickens and have great fun with them; but they aren't house pets and never will be.

I work my birds intensively to facilitate measures and detailed observations

So you use your birds for scientific studies? Well, see....that explains the confusion. Normally folks just use their birds for food, or in the case of many on BYC, for a place to waste money, time and affection that could otherwise be used to house, feed and clothe the needy in the world. I can see where scientific study of chickens would require having them up near your face...or at least under a mighty big microscope.

I've never really "manfighted" any of my roosters and also found that I didn't need to have them up on my shoulders to observe their general behaviors either....I guess there is a happy median between bringing out the whip and using a foofoo for a loofah.
wink.png

Last edited:
You all crack me up, I almost lost my bladder a couple times................LOL
I had my EE Gray beard bite me the other day, I just grabbed him by the neck and picked him up off the roost, then carried him around a bit to make sure he wasn't still in the mood for fingers. SO FAR HE HASN'T COME NEAR ME. But I guarantee if he tries it again he will be sorry, if I don't get the point across, I get even when i FIX HIM INTO SUNDAY DINNER!!
I have a 3 year old grandson who loves the chickens, and loves to pet the girls, if any one of them naughty roo's even gives him the stink eye, they will be a hurtin unit for a couple days. or just stew. I don't care if I have to cook 20 roosters and replace one every other week, no way will I let those feathered little dino's, even think about being mean.
I made it a pointy since my roo's got big enough to crow that I'm the boss when I'm in their pen, those are my girls, not there's, they will not mount them when I am present, nor will they chase them outa the food, or chase them for any reason. I have kicked them off a hen, or walked them into a corner for bad behavior.\\
that is how it has to be with roosters, if you don't act like the lead rooster, they will not treat you like the lead rooster, plain N simple. you will be the subordinate rooster and treated as such,
I love my chickens even my roo's I pat them once in awhile, I feed them well, I clean there pen and coop every other day, I grow them there own darn garden, silly spoiled chickens, I hand feed em, and pick them up for inspection once a week, but they always know I'm ready to go a round if they so choose to test there position, so they best behave.
Congrats on graduating rooster class101 , let the bleeding hearts commence my assassination now because, I don't condone abuse at all, but self defense is sometimes best taught before needed.

Quote:
So you use your birds for scientific studies? Well, see....that explains the confusion. Normally folks just use their birds for food, or in the case of many on BYC, for a place to waste money, time and affection that could otherwise be used to house, feed and clothe the needy in the world. I can see where scientific study of chickens would require having them up near your face...or at least under a mighty big microscope.

I've never really "manfighted" any of my roosters and also found that I didn't need to have them up on my shoulders to observe their general behaviors either....I guess there is a happy median between bringing out the whip and using a foofoo for a loofah.
wink.png

how do you get detailed observations from an intensely worked flock?

edit to add:

or rather what is the quality of the observation of a flock so heavily influenced, or "worked"?

Last edited:
I have a flat out gorgeous buff Wyandotte roo who rules the roost. I make sure to try to pick him up anytime I'm nearby. He stays the heck away from me at all times now.
smile.png

Quote:
can we post videos on here? I saw a REAL funny fight today that may continue for a while, a 9 month old OEG roo and a 5 year old standard size cochin hen! now that was funny!! every time he approached and flared-the hen would flare and just step towards him (she is probably 5-6X his size) and flatten him and he'd get back up and do it again.

My young roo was a beautiful LH. Crowed, took care of his ladies. Never had a problem with him...until my 3 year old neice came over. She had been here several times and never had a problem. We were just walking around, the hens following us looking for goodies and Charlie flapped up and tried to attack her. I gave him the boot just to have him run right back again 3 times till he finally got the message and left her alone. A few days later he tried it again with just me. Now, I am no tiny girl, I am 5'9 and build like an line backer. I treat all my animals very well but will never accept an animal trying to attack me or anyone else. I figure they are football shaped for a reason, so you can punt them when they need it. He had a chance, he didn't take it, so I ate him. Breaded and fried.

My neice was scared to death of the chickens after that. She came over today and it was the first time in over a month that she didn't scream in terror of the chickens. I actually got her to go into the coop and help me gather eggs. Even going so far as to reach under a broody hen for her late day egg. A huge milestone considering that a week ago she wouldn't even let me put her down on the ground hanging on for life and crying.

I think this topic may have gotten off track and out of hand.
Firstly, I don't think it's fair to degrade anyone for having 'pet' chickens that are held, hand fed and whatever else. I don't think it's fair for the 'pet' raisers to be so up in arms against the old, tried and true chicken raising methods used for generations.
As Al said, to each their own. There is no right or wrong way. My way is a boot up the butt when needed and yours is to carry around a feathered baby for awhile. I personally have better things to do and my way is quicker - the time vs. results ratio is better my way.

Lets agree to disagree on some issues. But, if the pampered way doesn't work for you, you know where this thread is. Everyone else should leave the loofas alone. There's plenty of room for us all.
wink.png

So, Al... I assume your Cornish is behaving, right? He's very pretty, by the way. I love the white laced reds!

Back
Top Bottom