Got him. (warning, a little blood)

Dogfish

Rube Goldberg incarnate
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Western Washington
So we lost a pheasant a few weeks back, half eaten through the only spot in the pen wire that didn't have hardware cloth down low. Main wire is 2x4. A few days later I lost a Barred Rock roo that didn't make it back into the coop before dark and I must have shut the run with him outside. I thought it was a coon. I was wrong.

0623110723.jpg

I woke up around 3am this morning, just had a funny feeling. Went outside and shined my flashlight around the field and I see red eyes. Grabbed my shoes, .22 cal Webley Patriot pellet gun, a hand full of pellets. Go back outside, and the eyes are about 10 yards away from one of my Narragansetts sitting on her nest in the brush line. I run the 80 yards to the brush line and the possum just turns away from me and stops, thinking I couldn't see him. Flick on the tactical light attached to the pellet gun, and WHACK, game over.

I'll keep the traps in place, and continue to check the field at night. Wierd how I woke up right then, though. The hen turkey was fine, and hissed at me when I checked on her. She's a fighter though, as I did some surgery a few months back on her and she recovered fully. As strong as she is, I really want her offspring.

I am having the same problems with possums. We have killed 2 so far and have spotted another one but he got away. Not giving up though. I have lost my biggest roo and a buttercup hen and 5 eggs that were due to hatch this week.
sad.png

Sorry for your loss!! Just glad you woke up when you did!

Quote:
Can you tell me a little more about the pellet gun? I'm looking at getting one to deal with raccoons in my yard. I want to trap some, but need to get a decent air gun to take care of them before I do.

edit: Also, what kind of pellets do you use?

Last edited:
Quote:
Can you tell me a little more about the pellet gun? I'm looking at getting one to deal with raccoons in my yard. I want to trap some, but need to get a decent air gun to take care of them before I do.

edit: Also, what kind of pellets do you use?

900+ FPS .22 cal, single shot break action. No longer made. Was $450 when I bought it 10 years ago. I use Beeman Silver Bear pellets. Great accuracy out to 45-50 yards. Buy a Beeman or RWS if you are going buy a .22 caliber gun.

Ahhhhhhhhhh I love the sight of a dead predator .. (in the morning.. hehe)..

Good job!

Like I always say....the only good possum is a dead possum. I am very sorry to hear about your pheasant. A possum got into a very secure (or so I thought) quail pen and decimated about 6 of my quail. Luckily, the rest managed to escape. Every time the peacock alarm goes off in the night, I grab my gun and run down to the barn.....haven't caught the possum yet, but hope to soon.

Back
Top Bottom