Got me some co-op babies!!

kjens2014

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2018
Clarksville TN
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on 4 Rhode Island Red's and two Americauna's today.

was 68 dollars for everything including the starter out the door. Chicks were buy 5 get one free.

I was given the stock tank for free because its busted. I'm so excited!! I haven't told the boyfriend yet. Oops. Oh well....sometimes you gotta ask for forgiveness right?

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
i5Xf6FrbTjyAjA8Zmvm32Q.jpg

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on 4 Rhode Island Red's and two Americauna's today.

was 68 dollars for everything including the starter out the door. Chicks were buy 5 get one free.

I was given the stock tank for free because its busted. I'm so excited!! I haven't told the boyfriend yet. Oops. Oh well....sometimes you gotta ask for forgiveness right?

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!View attachment 1303092
I had my first chicks in a similar container last fall.. this spring I bought 2 large boxes from Walmart ($3.00 total) cut one end on each box then taped together. I put cardboard on the bottom with packing tape, newspaper then pine chips. Some people will tell you not to use this method cause the heat lamp, but if you properly secure it.. then your golden. The lamp does not need to be attached to the box itself, but just secure. I also used a screen around 3 or 4 wks cause they are literally testing their wings then. I'm cheap, plus it works. Yours looks good!! Everything looks placed well :D congrats on your new babies!!

Last edited:
I would also move the heat lamp more into the tub as I know those tubs can melt!! I would not have it shining on the side. I melted a section on a 100gallon tub. Oops.
Also - tie up the light as a safety.
Congratulations on the little chicks

I would also move the heat lamp more into the tub as I know those tubs can melt!! I would not have it shining on the side. I melted a section on a 100gallon tub. Oops.
Also - tie up the light as a safety.
Congratulations on the little chicks

This is a free one that I got because it busted due to all of our frozen weather here earlier this year! I've only got a 100W bulb in it, and I've checked and tested it several times throughout yesterday evening and earlier this morning before I left to ensure that it hadn't made anything too hot. I have seen a pretty cool invention with some PVC pipe where you can make an adjustable hangar. I may drop by the co-op tonight on my way home and take a picture of it, then go hit lowes or HD for the supplies.

Back
Top Bottom