1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Got me some geese!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by IcarusSomnio, Apr 9, 2011.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I bought (what I thought) where a pair of young African geese. I recalled a flock that came charging down a hill, hissing an spitting, when we turned out car around in some no-stoplight town one day. So I thought, hey! Thats exactly what I need to protect my chickens!

Welll....

I think they are Toulouse/African crosses. They're not quite African, not quite Toulouse. VERY pretty birds, get along well with the ducks (a bit wary) and the two remaining roosters (crowing in excess since their arrival). The gander is busy strutting around the yard with his nose up in the air. The dog was rounding up a bunny for me the other day and shot past them. The gander hissed, did the wing thing, and ran....in the opposite direction.

The hen(?) is a lot calmer than the gander, was much more okay with being picked up and carried over to the duck house. Gander wanted to thump me upside the held multiple times [​IMG]

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Congrats on your geese

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Way to hilarious.
    Talking about dog and bunny. We had an English cocker spaniel years ago we've got from a breeder in Germany. We went out with the dog club so he would learn to socialize with other dogs and perhaps pick up some hunting skills. He was about 2 month old, I think when we went for a walk with the hunting dog. The adults dogs were all over in the bushes finding rabbit etc. Our dog stayed on the trail with us, because he was still very young. The next thing were heard was some dogs starting to scream, meaning they've found a rabbit. Our dog just stood in the path trying to figure out what was going on. Next we see this rabbit flying out of the bushed knocking our dog over and taking off. That followed by a mad group of 20 or so dogs chasing after the rabbit. Our dog finally got up and looked around trying to figure out what has just happened. Then he decided that he was really mad about it. He barked and started running after the dogs. Thais all happened so fast, but we all were laughing. He turned out to be an excellent hunting dog. We still have his son who is just like his father. He he is now 14 years old, had some arthritis, and his hearing is not as good anymore. He still has his hunting skills and goes for it when we go out hiking. Afterwards he always limbs around, but he still thinks it is worse the pain. We simply give him some Aspirin and he is usually good the next day.

4. luckyclucker

luckyclucker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    nm
    My ganders had complete personality changes when mating season came on. I couldn't believe it. They are sebostapols who would run if you looked at them and now they run at me, chew relentlessly on our two Great Pyrs and scream goose obscenities at anyone or anything. I'm hoping they revert back after June....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by