Got more today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TurtlePowerTrav, Sep 14, 2012.

1. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    So I am at Wilco Farm Store for some chicken feed and they have in stock for fall chicks EE(labeled as Ameracuana) and Golden Sex-link. Two weeks ago when I was there all the EE's were reserved. Not this time, and they just hatched Wednesday. So I called my DW and asked if I could get 2 EE's and one Sex-link now since I was planning on getting them in spring when I order about 10 LF and Bantams. She said I could. Yay. So here I go with a second batch of birds to raise.

2. beausonge

beausonge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Kelso, WA
    My local Wilco "caught" me too! I will try to post pictures this next week - too busy this weekend.

I would love to se pictures of yours when you get the time,

Happy raising chicks!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm so glad we don't have shops selling chicks here! I'll have a 1 000 chickens by now LOL Enjoy your babies!

4. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    ahhh memories... just a few chicks. lol. Wifey would probably think something was wrong with me if i came home with less then 20

5. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Well, one of the EE's was starting to get a pasty butt. So I brought her in and used a warm washcloth and wiped gently until it was clean. My first batch of chicks were 1 week and 2-3 weeks old, didn't have pasty butt issues. Raising from 2 day old is so different, but still fun.[​IMG]

6. duckie mama

duckie mama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    kilgore
    we use rain water caught in a rain barrel so far no pasty butt i think it is the chlorine in the tap water

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I heard it's heat and stress and I can't remember what else that causes it. I put ACV in they drink water and it worked. That's one of the best tips I ever got!

8. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    No chlorine here. I have a whole house filtration system. I am allergic to the chlorine.

9. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I think she just didn't get positioned right for the poo or toppled backwards. It was just a little dried poo on feathers covering vent area. I have them on ACV. She was fine lastnight went I went out to look in on them. [​IMG]

10. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Here ya go[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pics 1 & 2 are the EE's, don't have names yet, gonna wait for coloring and personality. 3 is Golden Sex-link, Amber is her name since she will be amber colored. 4 is group shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by