Got my Bator! Question about eggs

CK Chickadilly

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
West Michigan
I am so excited. I got my bator today, the Hova-Bator 1588 w/egg turner. I am going to run it for a few days to make sure it works properly.

My question is....I am picking up the eggs from a gal that is close to home, probably about 30 - 45 minutes away. After I transport the eggs home, do I need to let them rest? if so, for how long?

I am new to egg incubating so any incubating advise would be more than welcome!
smile.png

Thanks!

Congrats on your new bator. I got the same one on Friday, and have been running it all weekend trying to work out the kinks. I have a batch of eggs coming this week. I'm so excited!!

I love my 1588! First batch in there too. I have a LG still air with turner set up with a few eggs just so I could check it out too. The 1588 is sooooo much easier!
big_smile.png

I asked same about the resting.....I was told 6-12 hours...and mostly to get them to room temp so they don't sweat and lose moisture. Plus resting may help egg lining reattach if it was roughly handled. Good luck!

kimbpara- what are the kinks so far you have noticed?

Jessika - do you think that even being only 30 or so minutes away, they should still rest? I was hoping that I would be easier on them then the PO
lol.png

You could let them rest a while, to regulate the temps, but I don't think they need to settle (unless you take a very bumpy road!) They should be fine...

I wanted to make sure that I could get the temp and humidity stable before I put in the eggs. I went to TSC and got a cheap hygrometer. Then I got worried that it might not read correctly, so I went to a cigar shop and bought a more expensive one. Both read really close to the same, surprisingly.

I found I had a problem with the temp. Using the factory setting, I couldn't get it above 97. So, I had to play with the toggle switches until I got it right. Now it's between 99.5 and 100.

The humidity had been more of a problem for me. When I added the water as suggested, my humidity was well over 70%. So, I played with the water levels and now I have it at around 44% - 48% during the day. But, for the last two nights, it has dropped down to 29%. Not quite sure why...

I've had a few suggestions on how to correct the problem, and I'm going to try it tonight.

I just REALLY want to make sure I have everything as close to right as possible. I am so excited about my first hatch, and I don't want to mess anything up...

Looks like a few of us will be in on our first hatches together!! Good luck!!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Good luck with all of your hatching everyone! I just set 12 more eggs last night and should have 12 more by the end of the week! I must stop!
~Rebecca

Quote:
Mine looks to be staying a tad over 100* I hope that is ok. How important is the humidity in the 1st 18 days? I know it has to go up the last 3 days.

I am hoping to get some eggs by next week. I think I want to start with Silkies. What are you guys geting?

Back
Top Bottom