Got my Bator! Question about eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CK Chickadilly, Oct 6, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am so excited. I got my bator today, the Hova-Bator 1588 w/egg turner. I am going to run it for a few days to make sure it works properly.

My question is....I am picking up the eggs from a gal that is close to home, probably about 30 - 45 minutes away. After I transport the eggs home, do I need to let them rest? if so, for how long?

I am new to egg incubating so any incubating advise would be more than welcome! [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Congrats on your new bator. I got the same one on Friday, and have been running it all weekend trying to work out the kinks. I have a batch of eggs coming this week. I'm so excited!!

3. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I love my 1588! First batch in there too. I have a LG still air with turner set up with a few eggs just so I could check it out too. The 1588 is sooooo much easier! [​IMG]

I asked same about the resting.....I was told 6-12 hours...and mostly to get them to room temp so they don't sweat and lose moisture. Plus resting may help egg lining reattach if it was roughly handled. Good luck!

4. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    kimbpara- what are the kinks so far you have noticed?

Jessika - do you think that even being only 30 or so minutes away, they should still rest? I was hoping that I would be easier on them then the PO [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You could let them rest a while, to regulate the temps, but I don't think they need to settle (unless you take a very bumpy road!) They should be fine...

6. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I wanted to make sure that I could get the temp and humidity stable before I put in the eggs. I went to TSC and got a cheap hygrometer. Then I got worried that it might not read correctly, so I went to a cigar shop and bought a more expensive one. Both read really close to the same, surprisingly.

I found I had a problem with the temp. Using the factory setting, I couldn't get it above 97. So, I had to play with the toggle switches until I got it right. Now it's between 99.5 and 100.

The humidity had been more of a problem for me. When I added the water as suggested, my humidity was well over 70%. So, I played with the water levels and now I have it at around 44% - 48% during the day. But, for the last two nights, it has dropped down to 29%. Not quite sure why...

I've had a few suggestions on how to correct the problem, and I'm going to try it tonight.

I just REALLY want to make sure I have everything as close to right as possible. I am so excited about my first hatch, and I don't want to mess anything up...

Looks like a few of us will be in on our first hatches together!! Good luck!!

7. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    When I grow up I want to get a 1588!!!!

8. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Quote:lol agreed! [​IMG]

9. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Quote:[​IMG]

Good luck with all of your hatching everyone! I just set 12 more eggs last night and should have 12 more by the end of the week! I must stop!
    ~Rebecca

10. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Mine looks to be staying a tad over 100* I hope that is ok. How important is the humidity in the 1st 18 days? I know it has to go up the last 3 days.

I am hoping to get some eggs by next week. I think I want to start with Silkies. What are you guys geting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by