Got my chick babies today!!

Also heard that TSC brand chick starter, DuMor, helps to cause pasty butts. We were recommended to get the Purina brand. Will get this today and try. I've also read adding cornmeal can help. I've washed and vaselined a few butts. It annoyed one of the barred rocks, she kept grooming.

I
Also heard that TSC brand chick starter, DuMor, helps to cause pasty butts.  We were recommended to get the Purina brand.  Will get this today and try.  I've also read adding cornmeal can help.  I've washed and vaselined a few butts.  It annoyed one of the barred rocks, she kept grooming.

I couldn't find our vaseline and used calendula oil instead and one of ours did the same thing. She was the one I pulled some dry poop off of, though, so it may have been that. None of the others seemed bothered. Do you all worry when they have dry poop in the feathers below the vent? I thought it could maybe build up, so soaked it off to be safe. Fingers crossed they all seem to be doing well.

I use the DuMor chick starter from TSC and haven't noticed any problems with it. My first chicks last summer never had any pasty butt on any of them. The batch of chicks I have right now are also on the Dumor and have only had maybe 3 pasty butts in 20 chicks.

Any little poopies that stick to their fluff under the vent I clean off as well. I had the same thinking as y'all that if left it could build up to become a problem and it doesn't hurt to just keep it cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom