Got my chicks 8/3. When should I expect them to start laying?

Lrosado17

Chirping
Jun 30, 2022
Hi! My girls are 17 weeks old now. When should I expect them to lay if they’re coming of laying age during winter? Would laying be delayed till springs when there’s more sunlight?

I have barred rocks, Easter eggers, olive eggers (Easter Eggers crossed with either a Barnevelder or a Welsummer) , and blue stars ( Blue Andalusian and a Barred Rock crossed).

Last edited:
x2. Breed type matters, and possible supplimental lighting. I wouldn't do extra lighting this year for them, so probably later, not sooner.
Some pullets will start production as early as eighteen weeks of age, but more will be five or six months old when eggs happen.
Mary
I have barred rocks, Easter eggers, olive eggers (Easter Eggers crossed with either a Barnevelder or a Welsummer) , and blue stars ( Blue Andalusian and a Barred Rock crossed). Are you familiar with any of those breeds?

I have barred rocks, Easter eggers, olive eggers (Easter Eggers crossed with either a Barnevelder or a Welsummer) , and blue stars ( Blue Andalusian and a Barred Rock crossed). Are you familiar with any of those breeds?
I have 4 EEs who were May babies. One is laying, three are not, so who knows?

(edited for grammar)

Last edited:
I would say around mid Jan to Feb, would be my guess. I have 18 week olds (hatched 7/30) who haven't started laying and I am not expecting them to until mid Jan a the earliest
Mine were hatched on 7/29, so right, probably Jan. Feb. Barnyard mix. Watching for the combs to start growing and turning red. My Welsummer took 25 - 28 weeks before they laid. Chicks I got 3/7 hatch laid starting 16 - 20 weeks, Sapphire gems. Depends on the breed. Don't forget to switch to a layer feed now.

Back
Top Bottom