Got my chicks 8/3. When should I expect them to start laying?

I have barred rocks, Easter eggers, olive eggers (Easter Eggers crossed with either a Barnevelder or a Welsummer) , and blue stars ( Blue Andalusian and a Barred Rock crossed).
The Barred Rocks are a breed, the rest are not. There are no standards for EE's so they can have about any traits. The rest are crosses. I'd expect your Blue Star to lay somewhere around the average of a BR and Andalusian. If you knew how the EE parent flock laid you can get an idea of what to expect from them.

My girls are 17 weeks old now. When should I expect them to lay if they’re coming of laying age during winter? Would laying be delayed till springs when there’s more sunlight?
You are obviously north of the equator since you mentioned winter. That means the days are still getting shorter but that daily change is very slow. In a little over two weeks we will be at the winter solstice so the days will start getting longer, but that change will be really gradual until later in the season. Then that change really speeds up. The length of day does not have nearly the importance often given on here as to laying. What can be significant is the change in the length of day.

Before they were domesticated chickens followed seasonal patterns as far as egg laying, raising chicks, and stop laying for molting. We've bred them to not go broody nearly as often and to lay a lot more eggs. We feed them really well in the bad weather months. They still sort of follow those seasonal patterns but for many not nearly as closely as they used to. Instead of waiting for the days getting longer in spring to start laying after the molt, many hens will start laying whenever they are over the molt. Some pullets, especially of the production types we often have, will skip the molt their first fall/winter and lay throughout until the next fall when they molt. What all this uncertainty means is that there are no hard and fast rules.

I've had pullets start laying as young as 16 weeks, I've had some wait nine months to start. I've had some start this time of the year when the days are about as short as they are going to get. I've had some wait until the days get noticeably longer in spring. There are no hard and fast rules.

As young as yours are I would not expect any of them to be laying in the next week or two even in the heat of summer, though it is still very possible you can get an egg at any time. And that first egg could come from any of them.

So when can you expect them to lay? When you see an egg you can expect more. That may be from just one while the rest wait or you may have a few start at the same time, whenever that is. I've seen both happen. I'd be prepared for anything to happen.

Hi! My girls are 17 weeks old now. When should I expect them to lay if they’re coming of laying age during winter? Would laying be delayed till springs when there’s more sunlight?

I have barred rocks, Easter eggers, olive eggers (Easter Eggers crossed with either a Barnevelder or a Welsummer) , and blue stars ( Blue Andalusian and a Barred Rock crossed).
I'm wondering the same thing. I got a batch in late july (6 1/2 months ago). All are laying except a buff orpingington. She is healthy, beautiful, healthy and friendly, but no eggs. Hmmmm?

I'm wondering the same thing. I got a batch in late july (6 1/2 months ago). All are laying except a buff orpingington. She is healthy, beautiful, healthy and friendly, but no eggs. Hmmmm?
Some can take longer. My last Welsummer to start was 28 wks. Be on the lookout for the lovely surprise! My 2 barnyard mix pullets hatched on July 29th, and recently began laying this past few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom