Got my chicks... and some questions

ejducharme

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
Jacksonville
I posted a "What breed are they", but now I have a couple of questions...

How often will the chicks huddle together and sleep? they are all huddling under the lights, and all sleeping at the same time. I have 18 chicks. Is this normal, or is there something wrong?

Also, when they are more active, they will jump over each other, from a good distance, often landing on the back of another chick so that they can get RIGHT UNDER the lamp. Is this normal too? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, I'm just afraid to come out one morning and they're all dead because of something I didn't know about. TIA for your help!

I think everything you describe is pretty normal. I remember my chicks would just suddenly put their faces down and fall asleep. I think the most important thing is to monitor the temp at chick level with a thermometer and make sure they are eating and drinking. Also be sure to keep their butts clean so they don't paste up. Four of my five chicks needed some cleaning for the first couple of weeks.

If you can, post some pics in this thread or on your BYC page so we can see your set up and the chicks.

Last edited:
It sounds normal to me. Mine tend to pile up together, and then one will run up and jump right on top of the pile and wake everybody up. They'll also be walkng around and suddenly fall flat on their face asleep. They play hard, and they sleep hard. If your temperature is right, they'll go where they're comfortable.

Here are the same pics I put over on the "What breed are they" board. I ordered 2 Wyandottes, 2 Yokohama, 3 Ameraucana (which I have not been told will be EE and not true Ameraucana). I don't think I ended up with what I ordered as I have 4 chipmunk looking chicks (which were said to be 1 SL Wyandotte, EE, and RSL) and 11 SL that are most likely males.
sad.png
I'm not looking forward to getting rid of them even though they will be roos and I live in suburbia and won't be able to keep them.

Anyway, here's my new babies:

100_1041.jpg

100_1043.jpg

100_1045.jpg

100_1047.jpg

100_1038.jpg

The brooder is a rubermaid bin with a heat lamp at one end, food and water at the other. In the pic with the peep pile, we had the food container sorta away from the walls so EVERY hole could be gotten at, but I have since put it at the other end.

Another strange thing I put on the other board was about my dog. He's a male, but he's taken to "mothering" the peeps. We have two, the toy(he's deformed and has legs as long as a miniature poodle) and a mini. The toy has taken to guarding the brooder, growling and attacking the mini if he comes too close, and laying down whining at the brooder if the peeps peep too loud. The toy is a birder (he chases birds and attacks them if he can) so it's strange behavior from him.

If they're all in clump directly under the lamp, I'd be concerned that it's now warm enough. If they're in a clump in the indirect rays of the lamp, I say it's just them snuggling w/one another. If the temp. is really comfortable, I think some clump and others spread out...(you can't please all of the chicks all of the time).

Ok the first thing is to check every web page on new chicks. Now the reason they are huddled under the light is cuz they are cold. If you haven't tape a thermometer to the side of your brooder so you can check temp. Put it near the middle at chick level. After you have checked each web page on chicks you must follow the instructions to the letter.

My personal experience is.

I change the water as many times as it takes to keep it clean. I add sugar til it tastes sweet to me. yep I test it. I don't feed anything except medicated chick starter/grower. They won't die w/o treats, but they might w/ the wrong treat. They are babies, but they grow fast.

Paper towels on the floor for the first week and then wood chips.

Temp starts at 95 and goes down 5 degrees each week. I keep them in my office which is small and stays around 75-80.

Once you read up on chicks you'll learn and get the experience.

You'll learn everyone has a system and you'll get yours too.

Clean water, fresh food, no drafts , and keep them warm and clean and you should do ok.
Remember they grow fast and will out grow that brooder by week 4. Be prepared as to where and when your going to move them.

What you want to see is the peeps lying down in a nice arc formation around the warmth of the heat lamp.

Too cold, they pile up right underneath and you can definitely lose some to "trampled chick syndrome".

Too hot, they pile up at the end farthest from the heat in order to escape it.

Thermometer? Waste of time. Your peeps' actions will tell you what's up.

sounds like they are cold. if they are all in a pile under the heat lamp, then they are too cold, if they are all in clumps all around in different places at different times, then thats normal, but not if they are huddling under the heat lamp, they are cold. lower the lamp closer to the brooder to make it warmer, but not too low so they get too hot, you will know they are too hot if no one goes under the lamp but they hang around away from it.

Thanks everyone. They are spread out on the bottom, and I have the heat lamp towards the side since it felt really warm in there to me. They do follow the light if I point it directly at the bottom of the brooder, but otherwise they are all just laying indirectly underneath it. I change the water regularly, and am using puppy pads for the bottom, changing it out at least 3 times per day.

I was concerned if they were sleeping too much since something was wrong, or if it was natural, like human babies, to sleep so much. lol

Back
Top Bottom