got my chicks today.. and now they are dead.. GRAPHIC PICTURES

Quote:
great post, dacjohns. *nods*

it's sad to lose the chicks, augiedranch. i'm very sorry that happened to you. chalk this up to learning experience and your flock will be predator proof in no time.
smile.png

d.k :

* YOU GOT BITTEN?!? OMG!! ARE YOU O.K.? HAVE YOU GONE TO THE HOSPITAL?? You may need and antibiotic, or a tetanus shot, even though the creature apparently wasn't venomous!! Please take care of that bite!!!!!!!

Man oh man - take a deep breath, d.k., it was just a snake. Seriously!
wink.png
Nobody needs antibiotics or tetanus shots or hospitals or anything. Wash the wound well if you're worried about infection and it will be just fine. Because snakes have lotsa tiny teeny short teeth and not always the cleanest mouths (watersnakes especially IME) some minor superficial infection sometimes develops, but no different than, like if you had a splinter, or got scraped up playing football. Minor treatment and it's better.

I'm just posting this in case anyone is going to get freaked out by the next snake that bites them.

Sympathies to the original poster - I'm absolutely no fan of killing harmless snakes but I can certainly understand hoping against hope that you could save one of the chicks. Unfortunately most predator-proofing lessons are sad ones, but at least you still have *some* chicks left that can benefit from the experience.

Best of luck,

Pat​

Another plug for the 1/4" hardware cloth. Snakes will not be able to get through that. Chicken wire is not a barrier to a snake.

I'm sorry you lost your chicks, but I too appreciate snakes for their natural place in the ecosystem, especially non-venomous ones like this one. Simply exclude them from the coop and let them go on their way, and everyone will be happy.

Big meanie snake!! I am soo sorry for your happy turned traumatic day.
hit.gif
But I know you will shore up the brooder and care for the chicks in it like no other. Maybe plywood walls or something? Can you bring the entire thing inside for a couple weeks?

Sorry to hear about the chicks, but as someone said - snakes are necessary, and they'll do what they do. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and don't beat yourself up over it.

And for what its worth, that sure looks like someone's escaped pet Boa Constrictor or Ball Python. Tough to tell by the pick for sure, but that's my guess.

I'm pretty sure it is not a boa. I used to own a pet boa and I don't think thats one. I also don't think its a Pyton either. I could be wrong but in my opinion I don't think its an excaped pet.
I'm sorry about your loss.

Definitely not a ball python or a boa constrictor. It most likely is a native rat snake of some sort, though it could be another species of escaped exotic. It's hard to tell without seeing the head.

Back
Top Bottom