Got my fertilized eggs.. how long do I wait to put them under broody?

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
I just got my first clutch of fertilized eggs this afternoon through the USPS. I've been trying to gather information on what to do now, but I am not sure still as they all seem to differ. I had read one should wait 24 hours before putting the eggs under the broody hen and that the area in which you place them should be a cool dark place- but not a refrigerator. I have them in my bedroom. I unwrapped them (hope this is ok) and they are all sitting in a cushy box- some touching each other... hope this is ok as well. When or how do I do the next step? Tonight? or Tomorrow night?

My broody hen has been sitting on a nest in my coop with the other chickens but I have been thinking of moving her to a smaller coop that I have so that she may have some privacy. The problem is that I don't think there is sufficient ventilation in there and we are in the middle of a heat wave right now. (90 - 100 degrees F during the middle hours of the day) I worry about her getting too hot in there and too cramped. Also, I had used Diatomaceous Earth in there before... should I clean it out throuroughly or shouldn't the DE be a problem?

Also, what is "lockdown'?

Also, do you think a Buff Orpington can sit on 8 eggs? I asked for 6, but the good breeder gave me 8- I don't want to waste any!

I think I am going to have to do more reading and preparations... I was just going to stick the eggs under my broody as soon as possible. Am I being too nervous or good by being cautious? Help!

Thanks in advance for any replies. This is my first time! I don't want to mess it up!

I've never had broodies (yet) but with my shipped eggs, I let them set about 18 hours at room temp before I set them in the incubator. I've read 12 - 24 is ok, anything longer than that I think they need to be cooler (55 degrees maybe
hu.gif
)

Maybe a broody expert will help with your other questions.

Lockdown is day 18 of incubation when eggs in the incubator are removed from turners and set to help the chicks situate for hatching. I don't think you have lockdown per se with broody...need broody expert!!!
big_smile.png

I put my eggs under my broody as soon as I got them home and they came room temp. They don't start to develop until they reach 99 degrees. The broody was thrilled. She took each egg and gently tucked them under her. I moved her into a wire dog crate with her own bedding, food and water because right away, the other hens started laying their eggs in her nest and pushed her out. Then she got confused and went back to the wrong nest! It got pretty warm out there towards the end, but she stuck with it. When the eggs hatched I moved the cage to the ground so the babies wouldn't fall out. A few days later, I opened the door and she took her babies out. I was afraid the other hens would hurt her babies because she was the bottom of pecking order before, but she defended those babies like the top hen and I think she's definitely up on the pecking order now. Funny how becoming a mama changed everything. She goes out with the other hens all day with babies in tow, showing them how to scratch and forage, (even though I have chick feed/water in the cage). At night, she goes back to the crate and sleeps with wings down and the babies squirm underneath her. It's very cute.

So let your broody do her job. You don't have to worry about lockdown or anything else because nature handles it. You can go out some night and candle them after about 10 days and see if anything is happening. I did have some duds. I just used a little toy LED Disney Princess flashlight from Walmart that my daughter had! HA! It worked like a charm and my daughter got to see the babies moving in their shell and growing.

Have fun and good luck!

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom