Got my first duck egg!

Featherland

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Missouri
I got my first duck egg from a 17 week old Golden 300! Thankfully it was laid in the nesting box.

I just recently added open from the outside nesting boxes in the duck coop. The ducks were so

afraid of the new nesting boxes that they wouldn't even go in their coop without "help". lol

Now I have a question. The egg is tinted a light green but it is coated with a brownish substance

that doesn't wash off. I just cleaned the coop and put new straw in there so it wasn't dirty.

Is it normal for a duck egg to be so dirty looking?

They put a bloom onto the egg when they lay it. It is a waxy substance. I've noticed that new layers put more of it onto the egg and older ducks. It should be better in about a week. I personally wash all my eating eggs. I fill a small container with hot tap water and a few drops of anti bacterial dish washing liquid. Let is soak for a minutes and use a sponge with the scrubbing side to clean. I paper towel and put it into the fridge after I wrote the date with pencil onto the egg. It is important to use hot water to expel the dirt away from the shell. Cold water will make the egg pull it into the egg.

BTW 17 weeks is very good. Mine waited 6 to 6.5 month to lay. I do have heavy weight ducks, so it is not a full surprise either.

Thank you. I do have chickens and always wash my eggs in hot water. I actually thought about using

the scrubber side of a sponge to clean my duck egg but I didn't know if it would damage it. So I am

pleased to know that it is fine.

I was surprised to get an egg this early! I still have a few more to go....

Back
Top Bottom