Got my FIRST egg today!!!!

TobyMGF

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
I bought my chickens the week before Easter (April 13th) from TSC. Ginny Weasley (my sons named her) is a Red Sex Link.

Yesterday she was in the nesting box and her vent was fluffing up and she was acting very odd. She was incredibly vocal too. I checked all day yesterday, sure she was going to plop on out but no luck. This afternoon I went to refil their water and there was my first egg, a small brown one!

Of course I took pictures right away. My boys were so very excited too!! Yeah for Ginny! Hope the rest of her eggs are larger.

celebrate.gif

CONGRATS!!! We got our first today too. We found one brown and one banty white. There is much celebration here too!!

YEAH! 2 in one day!!! I can't wait. We have a total of 33 chickens. I think all but 3 are pullets, so it will be interesting to see how many eggs we get per day once we start rolling. Of course I have a handful of banties so their eggs will be smaller than thos of my other hens.

Well got my first egg today also,,,,,I have 2 black lorps,,,and 4 black sex links,,,,got a small
brown egg,,,,,dont know which one,,,,,It was on the floor,,,,,I dont have nesting boxes made
yet,,,,,so got to get to work tomarrow,,,,,dont want to slow production,,,, RH

We have our first also!! First ever for our family - YAY! It was my favorite color, too - medium brown with dark brown speckles!!!

However, we have also found a few soft-shelled eggs. Wierd and scary! We only find them opened up and we are sure the pullets are eating them. They did not touch the one true egg, however. Of course we are afraid now that they might eat the "real" eggs. We hope this is an instinct because they know that the soft eggs are no good to keep and hatch maybe???

Any suggestions from the experts???

Also, of course, they are not using the nesting boxes yet. How long has it taken for your chickens to figure this out. How do I prepare them for success?

Back
Top Bottom