Got my First Egg Yesterday!!

happybooker1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 4, 2012
North of Houston Texas
I have a few Bantam girls (Frizzle Cochin, Dark Brahma, Silkie, Sultan, & Serama). The Frizzle laid her first egg yesterday-- just shy of 21 weeks old. Yay!!

Questions: I have 1/2 a bag of chicken grower I've been feeding them, along with crushed oyster shells in a dish. Is this enough to keep them on until the bag's gone, or do I need to switch right now to layer feed?

Will the Frizzle begin to lay an egg every day or so now? Or will it take a bit for her system to 'regulate' itself?

The egg looks perfectly fine, if oval instead of 'egg-shaped'. Will it be OK to eat?

Should the other girls begin to lay shortly? Or -- who knows?

Congratulations! The egg is perfectly fine to eat but don't be surprised if there is no yolk! They will need a bit of time for there systems to regulate and then will probably lay every other day,if not every day. What you could do mix the bag of grower with some laying pellets and finish the bag that way.

Son went out this afternoon and there wereTWO eggs. So now I've got 2 hens laying right? There were no eggs in there this AM. We boiled & ate the first 3 & they were delicious!

Last edited:
First, congrats on your newly found eggs!

Second, you could have 3 laying with the one who laid first not laying an egg today at all. When my 3 first started laying I would get a 1, 2 and then 3 day days. All in order. Monday=1egg Tuesday=2eggs Wednesday=3 eggs Thursday back to one and it continued like that for 3 weeks. By then, I knew who was laying what egg and which one was laying every day.

Back
Top Bottom