Got my first-ever chicks...there are no stupid questions, right?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by limabean, May 4, 2011.

1. limabean

limabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    I feel a little silly asking this, but I'm new at this and fretting over my chicks...one of them (there's 6) is lying down to sleep. Do they do that, is that normal? The rest are standing to sleep, so far.

2. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Yes it is perfectly normal to lay down and sleep for a chick. A lot of times they will lay down stretch the neck and head straight out and sometimes even there wings go out a little and if your lucky i have had a couple that would stick there legs straight out from underneath them!!! Sometimes they will also stand and sleep but usually end up almost falling cuz they cant keep there balance when there head goes down [​IMG]

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Mine play hard for a bit then crash in the craziest positions! Sometimes, after a particularly rowdy chickfest, I can look in the brooder and it looks like a chick bomb went off! The first couple of times I saw this, I freaked because I thought some of them were hurt. But just wake one of the little buggers up when they're catching zzzz's and see what kind of stink eye you get! It'll make a brave soul cringe, I tell you!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yeah, that's normal. My heart skips a beat when I see them do that. For a second I think it's died.

Imp

5. limabean

limabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Thank you! OMGtheyaresocuuuuute.

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    And sometimes they will drop where they are standing and go to sleep. I thought mine were dead the first time I saw that happen, lol.

7. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    They're like young toddlers, just having learned how to walk but not knowing when to give in and lay down. Many of them will fall asleep while walking, some will just plop down, and yet others will fall asleep standing up and just sort of sink down at some point. They usually fall asleep on their tummies, but occasionally, one will fall asleep stretching legs and sleep on its side, which seems a little disturbing to a nervous mom. It's all normal, but it's such a relief when they all wake up!

8. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Quail chicks are the worst, in my opinion. They don't stay soft and fluffy long and begin to feather almost within days. As they pass out, just as you have described your chicks as doing, they spread there legs out as if they have died. The result is a skinning looking ugly creature. You have to see this to know what I am talking about.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  9. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Quote:[​IMG]

I still tap the brooder when I have one looking dead. And most of mine are over a month old. LOL. Even the bigger 6 weekers still will do that.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  10. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

Mine are almost 4wks they just drop where they are. 1 stood up and put her head on the floor. tushie in the air loved to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by