Got My First Oddball E gg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Picky Chicky, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    After I got home from work I looked to see what gifts my girls left me this time.

My banty Japanese Buff was sitting low on the nest and absolutely refused to move. She looked bummed out and quietly chattered to me as I gently moved her off the nest.

I realized something was very different about the nest. It looks like one of the girls laid their first shell-less e gg. It was quite the mess, but I didn't worry too much. This happens occassionally right? And if memory serves me correct, this happens if the girl is deficient in something?

Thanks for your thoughts! Happy 4/1/09 Joke Day!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Soft shelled e g g s can be a sign they need more calcium, as in oyster shell.
    If they're new to laying and getting oyster shell already, probably just a glitch at the e g g factory.
    Edited because I forgot we can't type e g g normally right now.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    It can happen at times. If you get more than one then you should add some calcium but just 1 is no big worry. One of mine when just starting out laying E ggs laid a rubber-like no shell egg but then all other E ggs were normal after that one.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  5. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    This can be a frustrating issue. Hopefully it's just a glitch in your hen. I've got one that always lays shell-less or very soft shelled eggs. She's the only one doing it on a regular basis. They all have the same diet and oyster shell available, but I can't force her to eat it. She is a new layer, and I'm really hoping she'll get it figured out. But she's been laying for about 3 months and never laid a regular egg that I know of. I really hope yours is just a short lived glitch.

6. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    Maybe you need to try a different source of calcium? yogurt/leafy vegetables?

7. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

how's your girl doing today? [​IMG] Hope she's better...

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:This article implies that "poultry grit" is a source of calcium.

Maybe this is why some people here have this mistaken idea.

9. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Quote:Before I left for work I let them out despite the crummy weather so they were all very happy. The girls have all been laying later in the mornings (they used to lay first thing), so I wasn't surprised to see any eggs or goo. So I'm hoping tonight when I get home she'll be all better and her egg-maker in functioning order. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by