got my first one !!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kentucky jay, Jan 15, 2011.

1. kentucky jay

kentucky jay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    haha ...im not talking eggs here ..... my biggest rooster gave me a big crow this morning ..... not the usual short version ...a full crow !!!!!!! pretty cool ..... at what age do they normaly perform thier first crow ?

2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    My bantam brahma started crowing at around 10 weeks old. I still wasn't sure she was a he...until I heard it. Then Mable became Mister Mabel and he hasn't shut up since.[​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have to say, some of my roosters like to taunt me VERY early on. I've heard a screeching/crowing type noise coming from the brooder at a week or two old.
    I have a knack for hatching males and boy, do they let me know it.
    DH hears it and says, "Oh great, you've done it again". [​IMG]

4. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Must have been something in the air today. I posted earlier that mine did the same thing! a full out crow...no playing around..he wanted his girls near him and he wanted it NOW! lol! Funny thing is they never did go to him...he had to come back to the house to find them, lol!

5. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    we're not allowed to have roosters in the city, so I'm terrified of ending up with one!

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Alright Jay! It just ain't country living until you've got a rooster to crow for ya! [​IMG]

7. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Mine are usually 6-7 months or so when they start. Although one in particular was a VERY loud chick, chirping loudly all the time as if he were in pain. I'd pick him up and hold him close to me and he's shut up (we start spoiling early in this house lol). He eventually grew out of that and was quiet until about a month or so ago. Then he started crowing and let me tell you, his crow is as long as a country mile lol. Congratulations [​IMG]

8. kentucky jay

kentucky jay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    yeah he is about 7 months old ......... cant wait till spring so i can get some eggs from the ladies of the coop !!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by