got my first pea egg any tricks I should know about?

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
My pair Bonnie and Clyde finally started mating this spring and low and behold a pea egg!!!!

I will be researching hatching them but was wondering if I should know anything or if there are any tricks.

How much will she lay? I think they will be fertile as the peacock seems to be doing it all correctly. What a hoot! I had never seen pea fowl mate before and was sort of wondering how he would manuver his long tail, and what a funny ritual. I tried not to offend by laughing.

here is a pic of Clyde showing off to Marty and the flock.
big_smile.png

DSCF1367.jpg

I am so eggcited I cant wait to hatch pea fowl. I can only have this one pair for now but as soon as I move to a farm I plan on getting a lot more. I really love mine and they were not too hard to train either. I still sometimes have to chase Clyde through the woods back into the fenced part of the yard and that can be exhausting but lately (probably because they are mating) he has not been trying to escape as much. They are pretty friendly too, they dont let me pet them but will stand right by me and dont run away. They also love to hang out by the sliding doors and look into the house and their reflection. They make the most amazing security gaurds too. I just love them
love.gif

ok great that helps a lot. hmm I wonder if a broody hen would work.... how many pea eggs could a silkie sit on? maybe 3??? lol lol it did not even occur to me that they would not fit in the reg chicken egg turner...

gonna go searching now
smile.png

I use incubators ,, cochin bantams and silkie bantams.. black sumatras. the cochins and silkies can take four easy, some time 5 if they are a small pea egg ,sumatra or that size hen can set on 6-7,, I have had large cockins set on 10-12 but they do a lot of damage getting off and on the eggs ,,hens always work best,, it takes around 26.27,28 days to hatch depending on a number of things such as the area you live and the way the eggs were stored, the age of the egg. .. connerhills

Back
Top Bottom